Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just got my 7 week old chihuahua baby last week. I am already so attached to her. I am having a hard time leaving her to go anywhere. I want to cry everytime I put her in the crate. Are they okay being in their crates or do they cry the whole time? I haven't left her longer than an hour yet and even that is very hard for me. Is it as hard for her as it is for me?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Hi and welcome , a 7week old chi shouldnt really be left alone for long periods in a crate - I would advise only using this at night but this my personal preferance as I dont like crates , a 7 week old cghi needs feeding 4 times a day and I would reccomend not leaving it for longer than an hour until it is 12 weeks or so old :wave:

·
Registered
83 Posts
i hated leaving coco in a crate also, but my husband and i worked during the day so we had to crate her. my mom would come over during the day to feed her and let her out. but once we came home from work she was not put back into her crate until bedtime.

i think its ok to leave your puppy in a crate but only for a little while.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I didn't leave Gizmo alone until he was about 11 weeks....and I started with 30 min...to 1 hour...now he is almost 19 weeks and he can stay for about 4 hours....the longest he has been was 5 hours and even then my husband came and took him outside...it won't be hard on her as she gets older if you don't make a big deal out of leaving...when I get ready to leave I put him in his basket...no eye contact...I grab my bag...and keyes and leave...I don't say anything...not one word....I just go out the door...and he just lays down...he doesn;t cry...at first he did...but once he got used to his "basket" or in your case her "crate" she will be fine... :)

But at that age...I think an hour is a bit much....work your way up sloooowwwlllyyy...she's still a tiny baby :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have had Gadget since he was 3 weeks old and he never has been in a crate... We got him a duffel bag style carrier that we used to take him places but we never just left him in it.. I think we did put him in it a coule times this winter when he had to go outside to do something because it was to cold to take him outside with us...

I have only left him home for a couple hoours 2 times.. I have left him home with Amanda our with Mark. I take him everywhere.. If we go to a store that we can't take him in we take turns staying out in the car wiht him.. some times when it is not hot out we leave him in the car for very short periods of time with the windows rollled down....

I just couldn't leave him in a crate when he was so tiny...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I keep chico mainly in the kitchen with a babygate ,he has his weepads and if he has an accident its much easier too clean then the carpet ,he does get to hang out with us in the bedroom at night,I also like to carry him around the house,Well anyways chico has crate also ,with a compfy bed and blanket he goes inthere on his own when he is tired or if he just wants some peace and quiet.I never lock it ,i have the babygate so he got lots of room to roam around ,i guess he was used to the kennel at the breeders.Try not to leave the baby alone for to long its pretty young and about the crying ,ignore it and pay attention only when your chi stop whining or else he will always cry for attention,they get spoiled fast :D well its working for me ...good luck and congrats on your new babychi :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts