Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya,

I got my 1st tiny chi on sunday :) hes name is tyk and hes 1 year old..
hes great..:)
the only prob i have with him is leaving him on his own! on monday i have to go out to work for 5 hours (the rest of the week i work from home)
this morning i had a lil go at leaving him..i put him in the kitchen put his gate up..put his toys and bed in there.as soon as i was out of sight he was barking nonstop! i stayed in the other room for about 5mins...
if anyone has any tips for helping me with this i would be very greatfull!
is there any good websites out there that may be of help???
thank you
star xxxx

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
There will be an adjustment period. It all very new to him.......leave him a T-shirt with your smell on it or some stuffed animals, some people leave a radio on low...........gradually build up your time away and reward for good behaviour.

I am sure others will be along to help! Good luck :wave:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I haven't had this problem but I've read that if you practice leaving for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, gradually increasing the time away... so he comes to realize that you are coming back. Also, don't make a big fuss out of either leaving or returning. Be very matter of fact about it and don't even "greet" him until you've been home for several minutes. Then the comings and goings don't take on such a big significance for him.

Also, he's a year old - do you know his background? Has he ever been left alone before?

Good luck with your boy. Please post some pics when you have a chance. :)

BTW, I'd kill to be able to work from home. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ya :wave:

Thanx you two for your tips..
I worked out tyke just dont like being shut in the kitchen at all!
So ive given in to letting tyke have the hole flat to himself when im gone..he has no probs with that! the radio works very well thanx kemos mamma .. and im doing as you said racheal leaving tyke for 5mins..10mins..etc im now up to 30mins hes so good :)
thank a lot
star x x x

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i let them roam the house too, while i'm gone and i also leave the radio on ......i have no problems at all ......

welcome :wave:

kisses nat

ps it means a lot to them if they are not alone.....chi's are very social dogs :wink:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
For the first 6 months that I had Lily, I left her home alone every day. And I'm talking 10 hour days (she used a poop tray so she wasn't expected to "hold it" all day :lol: ). She had the run of the house, which worried me but I figured she'd probably sleep all day anyway. I checked with the neighbors to make sure she wasn't barking, which she wasn't. And she was so energetic when I got home, it was obvious she'd slept all day. My biggest concern was keeping her warm. This was in the fall and winter and Lily shivers when it's 70 outside. :lol: I didn't want to put a sweater on her in case she caught it on something... I couldn't even bear to think about what might have happened. So there she was, naked as the day she was born, with the heat turned up to 76. It was the only way to ensure she wouldn't be cold. My heating bill that winter was ridiculous but Lily was toasty warm. :lol:

Don't worry, I'm sure your little one will adjust and be just fine. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
She'll be just fine! You are brave letter your doggy have the whole flat, I'd be horrified of coming home dreading having to pick up poop from every corner and clean pee from the carpet. Puppies are good...but not THAT good =) We have some naughty little adult chis around here too...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't leave Charlie access to the whole house either, he used to stay in my bedroom but he started pooping under my bed and it's really hard to get under there to clean it so now he stays in the bathroom. He has a litter box so he doesn't have to hold it. The only problem we've had is that we have to take the toilet paper roll off the wall otherwise there won't be any paper on the roll when we get home. :roll:

Good Luck with Tyk :D ...and welcome :wave:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm sure with time your Tyke will adjust. Princess used to do the whimper thing when I left as well (she's not a barker). I used to have her only in the spare bedroom, now if I have to leave her alone I shut the bedroom and bathroom doors, put up the baby gate in the kitchen and let her have the run of the living room and hallway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts