Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've started Cricket on the raw diet, and she really seems to love it. I have one small problem. When I fed her this evening she didn't eat it all. What should I do? Just leave or throw it away? I'm scared if I leave it it will get nasty. Please help.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep, as Missy said - just throw it in the fridge and feed tomorrow. No problem at all.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yup! I would just pop it in the fridge for the next day's meal. If any longer, you can also freeze it. Dogs don't mind "freezer burn" either so as long as the meat is kept frozen to store, it'll still be fine for them.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You can put it in a baggie in the fridge and give it to her for breakfast tomorrow :) If she seems to be having trouble with bigger bones just give them a good smash...put a washcloth over the bone/chicken and bang it with a hammer.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was so cute eating, but I put the bone in her bowl, and she went back for it. It was a good sized bone, but I think she like chewing it. She is full and sleeping now. If she hasn't eaten by the time I go to bed, I'll put it in the fridge and that can be her morning bone.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awesome! Now just watch her stools and adjust accordingly. If she strains and the poop is light colored and very hard, then add a bit more meat at her next meal. If her poop is a little loose, add a little more bone. You will learn her little system and how much bone she requires. It's easy to overdo bones though as they like them so much, so keep that in mind if she seems to be a little constipated and then just add a few more bites of meat at the next meal. :)

In the long run, you want to keep bones at about 10% of the diet. It's fine to be bone heavy in the beginning and it will help keep her stools firm as you transition her over to the raw diet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Now just watch her stools and adjust accordingly. If she strains and the poop is light colored and very hard, then add a bit more meat at her next meal. If her poop is a little loose, add a little more bone. You will learn her little system and how much bone she requires. It's easy to overdo bones though as they like them so much, so keep that in mind if she seems to be a little constipated and then just add a few more bites of meat at the next meal. :)

In the long run, you want to keep bones at about 10% of the diet. It's fine to be bone heavy in the beginning and it will help keep her stools firm as you transition her over to the raw diet.
Thank you cause she did seem a bit constipated this morning. She has a pretty good schedule with her poop. Once in the morning when she wakes up, and at night before bed. I've never seen a dog that on schedule. She will like the extra meat too lol.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Her poop schedule will probably change on this diet! :) Less often & less of it! It's one of my favorite "perks" to raw. haha So don't be alarmed if she doesn't go as often as usual....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Other than straining how will I know if she is constipated. This morning it was like little pellets. Like a rabbit. Not all of it, just the first part. I'm bad, but I always watched my dogs poo. It's sometimes the only way I know if something is wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts