Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one tell me how old are male Chi`s roughly when they start doing this, as i had Glyn in Novemeber just gone, & the lady said he was 4 1/2 months the vet confirmed this by saying he was under 5 months as he could tell by his teeth, he still doesnt cock his leg but is showing a great deal of interest in my Shih bitches at the moment witch im getting a bit concerned about, so was thinking it might be time for him to get "done" but have been told till he cocks his leg hes not old enough, is this another old wives tale, :confused::confused:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The sooner the better. If you neuter BEFORE leg cocking begins (and the onslaught of the hormone testosterone), he will likely squat to pee all his life. Once leg cocking begins, it is a short walk to marking and marking becomes a habit that is very very hard to break. I'd get him done while still squatting to pee.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh right thanks, im going to phone vet tomorrow then and get him booked in quick, hes pestering and trying to hump my Shih bitches just started these last couple of days neither of them are due in season yet but they might be coming in early, and as much as i love and adore Glyn i really dont want any bald Chi x Shih pups !!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh right thanks, im going to phone vet tomorrow then and get him booked in quick, hes pestering and trying to hump my Shih bitches just started these last couple of days neither of them are due in season yet but they might be coming in early, and as much as i love and adore Glyn i really dont want any bald Chi x Shih pups !!!
You are a smart and responsible mom! :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
my randy was 5 months old when he kearned how to lift his leg, and he hasnt stoped since. i dont think yours will either once he gets it up there. :) hopefully it'll come naturally to him.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
that is a great idea :)
let us know how he goes after his OP!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a short update to say that next Fri Glyn is going in and will be coming home 2 stones lighter ....lol

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
The sooner the better. If you neuter BEFORE leg cocking begins (and the onslaught of the hormone testosterone), he will likely squat to pee all his life. Once leg cocking begins, it is a short walk to marking and marking becomes a habit that is very very hard to break. I'd get him done while still squatting to pee.
I didn't realize that! We did have Ernie done before leg cocking ended, and he still squats part of the time, but cocks his leg at other times to wee wee. I don't remember with Bu, but I think he'd started leg lifting before he was done, and of course we had no say in Briscoe our rescue, but I do know that he wasn't done until he was around 2 years old and he marks terribly so as a result, the others do. :-(

·
Registered
609 Posts
I didn't realize that! We did have Ernie done before leg cocking ended, and he still squats part of the time, but cocks his leg at other times to wee wee. I don't remember with Bu, but I think he'd started leg lifting before he was done, and of course we had no say in Briscoe our rescue, but I do know that he wasn't done until he was around 2 years old and he marks terribly so as a result, the others do. :-(
Yeah, I had Bartholomew done around five months, before leg-lifting started, and he has since squatted, while the other two lift their legs. On rare occasions, he will lift his leg, but I think it may just be to get leverage on the sidewalk when the grass is snow-covered, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts