Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been trying really hard to train her, she is so super hyper when she is out of her pen. she lunges at your face when your holding her and licks but she also nips too. when she's out and im walking through the room she gets ahead of me and walks backward and grrr's and sometimes barks at me feet and nips my toes. last night i kept the penny can in my hand and when she did it i'd shake the can. it makes the kids and i a little nervous to play with her because no one wants their nose nipped. what else can i try? i use the penny can when she nips and i say 'no bite'. in a stern voice. is this typical behavior?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Babies will push the limits. And just when you get her trained and she's doing great with NO nipping and almost completely potty trained, she will hit the teenage stage (at about 8 or 9 months) and will revert back to a monster. At least that's what we have found. It takes a lot of training, consistency, and diligent patience to raise a well rounded, socialized, well behaved dog.

If you let her "win" at any of these stages, she will grow to be a poorly behaved dog with either fear issues, snapping, or never learning to potty consistently where she's supposed to. It is a lot of WORK to raise a puppy! So hang in there!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh god it's normal teach her to wait if she goes through a door before u or you fan pick her up and put her back. Can shaking water squirting yelping and saying no never worked with daisy a poke twice to the neck did it never again. Also if I are all nervous then she will play on it and will never respect you pack leaders aren't nervous of their pack. If she lunges at your face don't move away it becomes a game you need to be the dominant dog. Like Tracy said it's consistency and every fog is different if it gets really bad abd she won't calm pin her down onto her side and do not let her move until she is calm and submissive.

If you got your boxer at 8 weeks he most likely did a similar thing they don't get enough discipline from their mums.

I am so strict with daisys behaviour she doesn't get away with anythin even since her spay

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What others have said is so, so true. If you let them win at young ages, they will continue to think they are boss.

Puppies are rowdy little things. I've had Bryco about the same amount of time you've had Leila and we are going through some similar things. He got downright unbelievably nasty with me the other night and I risked being actually bitten by him to win the battle. I'd rather win it now while he can't actually hurt me, than weight until he is a strong little adult that could hurt me or someone else.

Bryco used to be a terrible whiner but the 2 nights after I had the little fight with him, he went to bed when I put him there, and let me take him out when I wanted, instead of wining incessantly from my first stirring, so IDK, I felt bad having to battle so hard to win with a stubborn little 1.5 lbs of dog, but in the end it seems it is what I will have to do for a bit here.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aww bryco is spunky too.lol Well leila is very good at night. thank goodness. But when she is loose she is 110 miles an hour. I can barely catch her and i can't even imagine trying to teach her to wait or much of anything else. I figure she will need to be on a lead for that, cuz she's a maniac on 4 paws. She gets me really frustrated. What ended her little play time with us tonight was when she squatted and peed on my daughters sandal and the floor, when she had a potty pad like 1 foot away :[ She got put back in her pen then.!! grrr

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Cheryl don't put her in her pen when she wees in the wrong place it's not her fault it's yours. If she has been running and playing she will suddenly need to go when you see her stop put her on the pad. Punishing a dog is not only wrong as you get 10 seconds to correct them before they forget and you will also cause negative association with her crate and cause yourself more problems.

She is too young to know where she goes to the toilet especially as there is more than one area it takes time, you just. Soak it up with said potty pad clean the floor and that's it. If you see her squat clap yell do something to stop her mid stream and move her onto the pad.

With the running about keep the doors shut and you should be teaching her commands like sit stay down come etc this is fun for her and psychologically will wear her out so she will sleep more. Also I'd start practising walking on a loose leash around the house. It all will help in her seeing you as a pack leader.

Kristi bryco wouldn't do that look at the face lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
Its so normal Coco is the same unfortunately, doesnt do anything she doesnt want to, very head strong and like u i find her to be a far more difficult puppy to deal with than any big breed pup ive had.
We have good days and bad days, had a really bad day a few days ago wen she was being particulary stubborn but uv gotta stay the boss no matter how they act and shes been better since, they really try ur patience!
I always put Coco in her crate wen shes done something wrong after iv corrected her, it teaches her that wen she misbehaves she gets discluded from us and for me its worked, she doesnt whine and waits for me to let her out again patiently cos she knows shes in troouble and not to annoy mommy again for a bit! Shes not had any bad association with her crate at all and still goes to bed in it fine and quietly at night, hope it helps to know ur not the only one!
Cant remember if it was on its me or the dog or wat i was watching but i remember a dog behaviourist saying the biggest punishment to a dog is to be discluded from the family, so it works for me anyway putting her in the crate for a little bit wen shes been bad!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cash is the same Consistency is the key though i think. One day he kept on jumping into the baby chair with my daughter which isnt a bad thing he was doing her no harm really apart from accidently scratching her but i dont want him thinking hes dominant over her and he can just sit on her when he wants. I spent a full day yesterday saying "NO!" in a stern voice and putting him out the chair....and even though it took a while today...he jumped onto it with his front paws to see her he didnt actually jump into it. Just gotta keep at it. same with the nipping and stuff. I dont have a pen for cash and he still has a mad half hour x

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its so helpful knowing others have the same issues. And great hearing what everyone else does to correct.
Sarah, i thought just having her right near a potty pad while she was playing would be good enough. It was like a foot from her. But when she squatted down I yelled but she pees so doggone fast it was already out, lol. I've never seen a dog move so fast in my life.
I did put her up because I wanted her to realize she wouldn't get playtime with us if she did that. I didn't think that was the wrong thing to do..It is hard knowing what to do sometimes.
I try not to pet her when she is on her back legs trying to jump up at me because I know that's bad. I wait until she is on all 4's to pet. It's really tough to be aware of how dogs think and what I should or should not do, if you know what i mean. My main concern right now is the nipping. I will continue what i've been ding with the penny can shaking and saying no. Sometimes i just dont think she is paying attention because she's busy running a marathon most of the time. haha

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
She is too young to know that a potty pad means go to the toilet I didn't pad train but I don't know how many people have in their houses. You have had her what 3 weeks you can't expect her to know in that time where to toilet dogs have accidents throughout their lives and it takes time for them to learn where to go and go frequently, it's your job to put her where she goes. I would ostracise her with the nipping bit not the pottying it's your responsibility to ensure she goes where you want her to I would still at her age be putting her on her pad every hour or so until you have a solid routine.

If she is running around then take her to potty as soon as she stops or if you think she needs to go. Potty training is long winded I have been exceptionally lucky bit then I'm so strict and would take her out and not come back in until I knew she had been.

Nipping can become a big issue I posted about it cozbi was having issues and tried everything then I tried biting her neck with my hand I did it twice and never again. Also if your not around and your family are you must make sure they follow your rules for her. Raising puppies to be well balanced is hard.

With the jumping teach her to sit the when she jumps fir attention tell her to sit and her reward becomes her getting petted. I'm still teaching daisy not to jump up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts