Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we brought Leo home, we thought keeping him in a pack n' play baby playpen during the day would be a great alternative to a crate and cheaper. Well now that he is almost 7 months old, he has learned how to climb up the mesh and get out! I'm shocked at how crazy he is! So now I'm off to buy another crate. Guess our idea wasn't the best, lol....

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
We did the same thing with Toby. After about a week, we came home to Toby sitting in the living room with a shoelace. We witnessed him JUMPING out a bunch. He didn't even climb, he jumped! It was time to crate. We got a fabric crate, he escaped. So we had to get a regular metal crate.

We call him Houdini.

Monkeys indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Omg!! He even got out of a fabric crate? Wow, now that is impressive! I found a smaller fabric crate in one of the storage closets ( I used to use it as a carseat til I found out they actually make them), so I will try that. Otherwise metal crate it is!!

Glad to know I'm not the only half chi half monkey owner! Lol

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Not only are Leo and Toby long lost short/long coated twins, they are both half monkeys! I wonder if they are related, lol.

Toby figured out how to unzip the zipper. When we secured the zipper he figured out how to dig out. All before he was 5 months old.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
haha! These pups are smart! We got a octagon pen for Miya when she was a baby...THe bottom velcro-ed so it was easy to remove to clean.......she would dig under the velcro until it released and would climb UNDER the pen to get out! at...12 weeks!

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Do you have the option to gate him into a small room like a bathroom or laundry room? We find this works well. They get more room than a crate but they still don't have free roam of the house! We got a gate that is a pet gate and it is over three feet high. It has rungs that are placed close enough together they can't squeeze out. I would also think it would be difficult to jump or climb over.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Do you have the option to gate him into a small room like a bathroom or laundry room? We find this works well. They get more room than a crate but they still don't have free roam of the house! We got a gate that is a pet gate and it is over three feet high. It has rungs that are placed close enough together they can't squeeze out. I would also think it would be difficult to jump or climb over.
The problem with the gate is that if you have a young, hyper, motivated dog he may jump clear over the gate. We got one of the extra tall ones to block off the stairs, Rocky never touched it. Toby, on the other hand, figured out how to jump over it in two days.

It really depends on your dog.

Whatever you decide, make sure you test it with a short trip out, taking a shower, etc. so you don't end up with what I had- a loose, not quite potty trained monster puppy in my house. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We used to keep him in the powder room with a gate, but he jump and lean on the gate to the point where I think he could knock it down. And I think he could jump over it now too. I just left for a bday party and left him in the crate. We shall wait and see what happens when I get home!!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It's funny what they can get out of. Chloe squeezed out between the wall and the side of the baby gate. I wouldn't have believed it unless I had actually witnessed it happen. Can you not trust him in an area with the doors closed off or in one room with the door closed? We started leaving Chloe out in the apartment with the doors closed to the bedrooms and bath rooms closed probably 2 months ago. She has been so good. I've been really proud of her. It makes me feel less guilty about about leaving her.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last two days when he has gotten out, he tried to destroy everything! I think he's mad that we aren't home. I found a shredded potty pad and broken plant leaves everywhere, lol. Mojo and Lola love their crate, so I'm hoping Leo will get used to his!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The last two days when he has gotten out, he tried to destroy everything! I think he's mad that we aren't home. I found a shredded potty pad and broken plant leaves everywhere, lol. Mojo and Lola love their crate, so I'm hoping Leo will get used to his!
Oh goodness! He was one unhappy puppy! Haha I don't blame you for getting a crate then!

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not only are Leo and Toby long lost short/long coated twins, they are both half monkeys! I wonder if they are related, lol.

Toby figured out how to unzip the zipper. When we secured the zipper he figured out how to dig out. All before he was 5 months old.

They're definitely brothers from another mother! I bet Leo skypes with Toby to learn all the secrets!! Lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
Lol my wee Spice is a wee monkey like that too, I crate them both but one of my crates has the door on the top of it, well I never imagined they could get out of it but sure enough one day I came home and Spice was running wild around the house! She must have jumped up and climbed out at the top of the crate, I now make sure I close that door too every time!

Sugar however, I could leave that door open and she would never dream of trying to get out it, depends on the dog!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.