Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh. I suppose the more chis you have, the greater your odds of encountering various problems...at first I hoped it was a fluke, wishful thinking, but now it has happened 3 or 4 times. It is official. Leo is a poo eater. He seems to prefer Mileys, and only fresh. What discriminating taste he has.
I am in the process of switching him over from the Iams he was fed on at the breeders to Orijen puppy. Im hoping a better diet will make him less inclined to do this, but what else should I be doing? I know people have mentioned pineapple, and I think Heather said meat tenderizer? Do I have to give it to Miley (and Reese and Ben too, just to be safe) long term, or is it just for a week or two to break his bad habit? Help!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Did the poo eating start before or during the food change? It could be Miley isn't digesting the food well enough yet & it's smelling/tasting as good coming out as it does going in to Leo. :tard: With any luck her body will start to process the food better. This happened when we added in the Honest Kitchen to their (then) ZiwiPeak diet. Marley started to eat *somebodies* poo. That was one of the few reason why I decided not to do HK anymore. LOL Grossed me out!! He'd never done it before & I don't think it was stopping as he continued to do it every now & again until we switched back to raw. Thank goodness nobody loves the smell/taste of raw poos in the crew. haha

Good luck to you. I hope you can find a solution that works! I don't have any advice as we just opted for the food change (which we would have done anyway) to help solve the problem. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Eeek! I have no suggestions other than I've heard Pineapple works. Naughty lil poo poo eater. :lol:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Naughty Naughty! Sebastian used to eat it AS it was coming out of Zoey he was on Solid Gold at the time so I know it wasn't because he had nutrient deficiencies. We tried the accent, the pineapple etc the ONLY thing that work with him was putting a little Meat Tenderizer (the kind with Bromelain) on both his & Zoey's food, it helps them digest and it also makes the poop taste fowl.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the poo eating start before or during the food change? It could be Miley isn't digesting the food well enough yet & it's smelling/tasting as good coming out as it does going in to Leo. :tard: With any luck her body will start to process the food better. This happened when we added in the Honest Kitchen to their (then) ZiwiPeak diet. Marley started to eat *somebodies* poo. That was one of the few reason why I decided not to do HK anymore. LOL Grossed me out!! He'd never done it before & I don't think it was stopping as he continued to do it every now & again until we switched back to raw. Thank goodness nobody loves the smell/taste of raw poos in the crew. haha

Good luck to you. I hope you can find a solution that works! I don't have any advice as we just opted for the food change (which we would have done anyway) to help solve the problem. ;)
O how I wish that was the reason, Miley and Reese just tried Hk for the first time last night, and we first caught Leo in the act 3 or 4 days ago. Thats definitely good to know as a possible undesired side effect of feeding Hk though! There is certainly "something" about Mileys poo. She has by far the FOULEST smelling poos of any creature, ever. They always stink, no matter what food she is on. Every now and then she is kind enough to poo in one of our guest bedrooms and we can smell it immediately from the opposite end of the house.

Eeek! I have no suggestions other than I've heard Pineapple works. Naughty lil poo poo eater. :lol:
Very naughty! I cant quite look at him the same way now, lol.

Ewww cheeky wee Jobby eater. lol
Hopefully it is just a phase. x
Fingers crossed!!!!!!

Naughty Naughty! Sebastian used to eat it AS it was coming out of Zoey he was on Solid Gold at the time so I know it wasn't because he had nutrient deficiencies. We tried the accent, the pineapple etc the ONLY thing that work with him was putting a little Meat Tenderizer (the kind with Bromelain) on both his & Zoey's food, it helps them digest and it also makes the poop taste fowl.
Thank you, I will pick some up at the store this afternoon and hope hope hope that does it! Did you have to feed it to them long term, or just until he broke the habit? Do they like it going in, or did you have to disguise it? My guys eat primarily kibble.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I only had to feed it for a few weeks I think like 3 weeks. Sometimes you have to do it again, but one thing I think why so many puppies eat poop is they see their mom doing it as she's raising them so they think it's okay. BLECH!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Awww noo Leo! I know it's such an icky thing. My Pom used to do it sometimes, drove me crazy, it's so gross. I can't offer any advice really. My Pom was my only dog at the time and she would go outside and then quickly try and eat some. ugh. I curbed it by standing close to her when she went and just watching over her. Thankfully Pip and Roo do not do this. Phew. Good luck, Katy! I hope you can sort it soon!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Bryco does it 'cuz he's bored and because it gets him attention, NO other reasons. Because he doesn't actually eat it unless he brings it to your feet for a munch. Thus we call him the butt munch. ANYWAY...we've just slowly trained him out of it. The worst is when we yell at him instead of responding how most dogs do he gets super excited and wants to give kisses and play LOL. I just want him to keep his poopy mouth away from me!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
:nscared:
LOL omg this subject! NO! lol I swear what is wrong with dogs LOLOL Ok this is gross but here it goes.... :tard: When Shayley was a puppy :shock: *gagging* :shock: she use to go into our cats litterbox *gagging* :nshocked2: and get a snack in there.... :nscared: Gross!! I know, right? Geeeez She was at least a year old when she started doing it and I would just tell her NO! That's wrong! lol....Thankfully THANKFULLY it was a stage because she stopped years before Fluffy (our cat) passed away. So hope that's some hope for ya because believe me I know that isn't pleasant to think about. She never went after our other dog's "stuff" thought just the litterbox (who is passed now, beagle/terrier mix)​

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the same problem with Chico. But only if he goes on the pad, or someplace else in the house. Outside he is not interested in his own, but he looks for cat poo.
My questions is how much meat tenderizer do you put on the food? Do you just sprinkle it on lightly or is it like 1/4 teaspoon. I wouldn't want to put too much, or not enough.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only had to feed it for a few weeks I think like 3 weeks. Sometimes you have to do it again, but one thing I think why so many puppies eat poop is they see their mom doing it as she's raising them so they think it's okay. BLECH!
I hope it works for us, thank you!

Awww noo Leo! I know it's such an icky thing. My Pom used to do it sometimes, drove me crazy, it's so gross. I can't offer any advice really. My Pom was my only dog at the time and she would go outside and then quickly try and eat some. ugh. I curbed it by standing close to her when she went and just watching over her. Thankfully Pip and Roo do not do this. Phew. Good luck, Katy! I hope you can sort it soon!
Thanks! I have had to start taking them into the backyard in "shifts", Reese and Leo go out first then Miley and our lab. Now Im paranoid though, especially when its dark and I cant clearly see what he is doing, everytime he lingers too long in one spot Im afraid hes eating poo.

Bryco does it 'cuz he's bored and because it gets him attention, NO other reasons. Because he doesn't actually eat it unless he brings it to your feet for a munch. Thus we call him the butt munch. ANYWAY...we've just slowly trained him out of it. The worst is when we yell at him instead of responding how most dogs do he gets super excited and wants to give kisses and play LOL. I just want him to keep his poopy mouth away from me!
This seems like a more common problem then I realized! Bryco is a smarty pants, I know it certainly gets my FULL attention when Leo does it.

I've found that giving pineapple juice will make them stop eating poopy. They love pineapple too :D
We had pizza a few nights ago and I always get pineapple on my half, I gave both Miley and Reese a piece of pineapple just in case it helped!

:nscared:
LOL omg this subject! NO! lol I swear what is wrong with dogs LOLOL Ok this is gross but here it goes.... :tard: When Shayley was a puppy :shock: *gagging* :shock: she use to go into our cats litterbox *gagging* :nshocked2: and get a snack in there.... :nscared: Gross!! I know, right? Geeeez She was at least a year old when she started doing it and I would just tell her NO! That's wrong! lol....Thankfully THANKFULLY it was a stage because she stopped years before Fluffy (our cat) passed away. So hope that's some hope for ya because believe me I know that isn't pleasant to think about. She never went after our other dog's "stuff" thought just the litterbox (who is passed now, beagle/terrier mix)​
O all three of our chis will go into the cat box if given half the chance, Mileys always trying to sneak into the storage room where we have our boxes, she gets right into them and roots around. It is disgusting, but for some reason I find them eating another dogs poop more gross, haha Im not sure why.

I have the same problem with Chico. But only if he goes on the pad, or someplace else in the house. Outside he is not interested in his own, but he looks for cat poo.
My questions is how much meat tenderizer do you put on the food? Do you just sprinkle it on lightly or is it like 1/4 teaspoon. I wouldn't want to put too much, or not enough.
I would think just a sprinkle, but not sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts