Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a question :?
My ten week old Leo is acting really crazy, she runs around all crazy growling and barking, I'm sure that its normal to a certain level, but she also jump up and bite our lips and bite our fingers, and it really hurts.
A loud NO! doesn't seem to help, i don't know if she will grow out of the habit or what i should do??? :(

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Put her in time out or stop playing with her and walk away from her when she does it.
She needs to learn that is not acceptable behavior and will result in loosing her human companionship.

Running around and stuff is ok but you don't want her to think it's ok to bite you.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I agree, a loud and firm no and stop paying attention to her for a while, eventually she'll probably figure out you don't want her to act like that. If she doesn't after a couple of weeks a firm no and a gentle swat with something that makes noise (I used an empty envelope) works. Oh and yes it's pretty normal. Most of us have had to set limits on what is and isn't acceptable behavior.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If she's anything like Raz saying No and not paying attention to her will only work for about the first few times. After that we learned that a good smack on the bottom or nose with a rolled up news paper works the best.

Raz is 3 months now and he does it very little now because he's learned that if he does it he gets punished....but you have TO BE CONSISTANT WITH IT.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I'm sure everyone on this forum is well aware of my chi's temper. He would growl and snap and bite anyone. he even lunged at me once for trying to give him a treat. It was to the point where I was almost 100% sure I was going to give him up to a chi rescue. We couldn't bare to give him up though b/c I kept thinking w/ his attitude he'll be put down for sure...basically, w/ all my rambling :lol: , I'm trying to say DO NOT tolerate growling and snapping and biting! These little guys will think they are the boss in a second if you give in. W/ Mikey, any time he acts away I do not approve of he goes straight in his crate, in another room for at least 15 minutes to a half hour. You would not believe the difference this has made. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its good to hear that she isn't more aggressive than other chihuahuas.
I didn't start the no biting training right away, so i will have to catch up now, on your advise...
Thank you :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy was a little horror at that age with nipping us. We did the "no" and ignoring her technique and now she is alot less interested in biting us! You do have to keep on at them though! :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Bindi was not getting the hang of NO so I started clapping and saying NO! and she caught on :D
When she wont listen to NO now I remind her again- I clap and she stops!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts