Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been some recent threads about head types. Apple versus deer.

Basically an apple head is a domed round skull with a 90 degree stop (where the muzzle meets the head). This is the correct Chihuahua head shape. A deer head is shaped like a deer, a slanted forehead, longer muzzle, eyes are closer together. The taco bell dog was a deer head.

Often body types follow along with head types.... a Chi with an apple shaped head may have a shorter body with short legs. They are much more compact than a deer head which may have a more slender greyhound like body with longer legs.

Of course each dog is unique. I am not saying that one head shape is better than the other, unless you are looking to show or breed. Then your dog should conform to the standard which specifies an apple head.

I found a couple examples to show the difference. Here's two dogs... one is a deer head, the other one is an apple head. The differences are clear when they are right next to each other.

An Applehead and a Deer-head. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

More examples ....

Applehead Chihuahua versus the Deer Chihuahua

What's the difference between "Deer head" Chihuahua and "Apple Head" Chihuahua? - I Like Chihuahua!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Great explanation and links! :) It's very obvious in the first picture there, or if you have one of each to compare to each other yourself. I can see where it could be confusing if you have just one to judge.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That's interesting, Tracy. When it's really obvious, (like in those pics) it's easy for me to tell, but I find in a lot of cases, the head seems to straddle the middle somewhat so it gets a little confusing for me. Plus I also find a lot of times the head shape doesn't follow suit with the body type. For instance, Roo I believe is an apple head, but she has longer legs and a more deer like body.

What also confuses me is I have heard that when telling the difference between apple or deer heads you should only take the head shape into account and not the muzzle so much? What I'm saying is can an apple head have a longer muzzle or is the muzzle on an apple head almost always quite short? That's another thing that confuses me.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Yeah, it does make it easier to see the difference when they are side by side, and it's pointed out that its one of each head type. But a lot of the time its hard for me to tell unless its an extreme apple head or deer head. Does that make sense? Lol!
Tracy, out of curiosity what head type are my chis? I'm thinking Maxx and Lila are apple heads, and Lola has a deer head. Lily, I don't know. She's kinda in between heads.Lol! But I would guess deer. ;) I'm probably way off!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Momof4chis, I'd say Maxx and Lila definitely have apple heads. The other two look more so deer, but they could be tweeners. LOL.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Rylie, Tucker, and Emma all have nice apple heads. Chloe is more of a tweener.

emma2 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Rylie after a dental... haha... she was sooo sleepy, but this pic shows Rylie and Tucker's profiles:

The Woe by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Momof4chis, I'd say Maxx and Lila definitely have apple heads. The other two look more so deer, but they could be tweeners. LOL.
Ha! I like that "tweeners". Yeah, Lola and Lily sorta throw me off. I see deer too, but sometimes their head looks sorta dome. Maybe its their muzzle that throws me off? I guess it just depends on what particular chi I'm comparing them to. That probably doesn't make sense. Lol!:)
Totally! LOL. That's my problem too!
Lol! I'm glad I'm not alone! :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't claim to be the head expert. ;) And I'm like you guys..... sometimes they are totally in between!! They have the nice apple dome, but maybe they have a less than 90 degree stop or a longer muzzle, etc. I think a LOT of Chi's fall in between an apple head and a deer head.

Usually an apple head goes hand in hand with a shorter muzzle, but that isn't always the case.

I think that Roo is an apple head. Pip is in between. Maxx and Lila look like apple heads to me. I'd say that Lola and Lily are in between.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Imagine having that as your job title? Chihuahua head expert? LOL.

I agree with you, brody'smom, on Roo and Pip.

There are so many tweeners out there that aren't definitely apple or deer.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Interesting! :) I see a lot of in between ones too and that's what always confuses me. I find, in the smooth coats especially, it seems a little bit harder to find perfect apple heads.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Rylie, Tucker, and Emma all have nice apple heads. Chloe is more of a tweener.

emma2 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Rylie after a dental... haha... she was sooo sleepy, but this pic shows Rylie and Tucker's profiles:

The Woe by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr
Yes, I see apple head cuties!
You know, when they have wider muzzles its easier for me to tell the difference.
Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I don't claim to be the head expert. ;) And I'm like you guys..... sometimes they are totally in between!! They have the nice apple dome, but maybe they have a less than 90 degree stop or a longer muzzle, etc. I think a LOT of Chi's fall in between an apple head and a deer head.

Usually an apple head goes hand in hand with a shorter muzzle, but that isn't always the case.

I think that Roo is an apple head. Pip is in between. Maxx and Lila look like apple heads to me. I'd say that Lola and Lily are in between.
Yeah Tracy, I think if Lola & Lily had wider/shorter muzzles they would look a bit more apple, but I think deer head suits them best too.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
That blows me away too! Interesting..

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Wow! From the same litter? They are so different! I am getting a better understanding about apple and deer heads.
Great thread Tracy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts