Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what to do! I'm running out of ideas and patience with her!

since last thursday night she has been waking up around 4 am and whining at the top of her voice! made the error of taking her up to bed a few times as was really tired and mum and me had to get up early for work so couldnt leave her to cry.

past 2 nights she's cried from the second we've crated her.

She used to sleep all night quite happily in her crate and i dont kow what went wrong

My dad was away for 2 weeks (got back today) and she is his fave person, so i dont know if she was missing him and worried we were gonna leave her too?

but its getting really annoying, i started a new job this week, so am tired anyway and dealing with this is draining me! i feel like i have to get up all the time so she doesnt wake mum up as shes working too and its not fair.

i just dont know! mum had tried whouting at her a lot, ive tried putting her crate in my room for past 2 nights but she still screams so ive had to let her on the bed as didnt have the energy to deal with it.

Its really getting to me now

please help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You might have to practice some tough love here. I understand that you are tired but once you start letting her into the bed, she is getting what she wants and it will only reinforce her behavior.

We had an Italian Greyhound that did this and the only way to stop her was to put her crate right next to the bed and when she would start I would bang on the top of the crate which would startle her and she would stop. Don't say anything, don't turn the lights, give her no attention. My greyhound tried another 2-3 times then stopped and we never heard another peep out of her.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
These dogs are soooo smart! I was away for a couple of days, my daughter decided to take one of them up to her bed, just for the two nights - well we spent about a week listening to him crying wanting to go upstairs again - tough love worked (after a while!!) They are just like kids, slow to learn good habits and so fast to learn the habits you don't want them to learn!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh yes, she's learned that when she cries and makes a fuss - she gets what she wants! Up in bed with you!! They are so smart and will manipulate you just like a toddler that screams for candy until mom gets tired of hearing it and gives in. Then it's twice as bad the next time.... :)

Just hang tough and DON't GIVE IN. It may take a few nights, but she will soon learn that crying doesn't get her what she wants.

Maybe get some ear plugs. ha ha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts