Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Its been ages since I have been on here. I am graduating college this year and have been student teaching. Anyways, I scheduled Libby to get spayed today. She is going in for the procedure February 18 at 8 am and I am very nervous! I have a few questions about it.

1. She is currently a year old as of two days ago and weighs in at about 3.5 lbs. Could her weight cause any complications?

2. I have come on here before to discuss how she has gotten very aggressive and territorial towards her food. She will grab a whole bunch of pieces in her mouth, run somewhere, drop them out, and then hoard them. She is also very dominant over Bella and often tries to "mount" her. Could this be her hormones racing? Do you think spaying her will affect her temperment?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Good to see you.

Sorry you are still having problems with her :-( I have heard that having two females can be tough sometimes. Have you tried NILIF (Nothing in life is free) with her yet? If not then you may want to google it. Yes, it is possible that spaying will help the situation.

She is not to small to spay and she will do fine :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hi Amber, it's nice to see you back. Congrats on your upcoming graduation. :) Libby's weight shouldn't be a problem. I would discuss any concerns you have with them to help put your mind at ease.

As far as will spaying help Libby's aggression, possibly. If her aggression is hormone related it should help. If it doesn't, I might try to get some outside help for her behavior at that point. I know it's been going on for some time now. Have you considered a trainer?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hey hey! Good to see you here. :) Sorry Libby is still bein' a little stinker, hopefully she can calm a bit with her spay.

My Lo was just 2.2lbs when she was spayed, and did wonderfully. I didn't allow her to stay overnight, and picked her up the same day so I could monitor her (I worked it around my school and work schedule so I could be with her). She was a fire ball though, and the hard part was keeping her still. :) She was sent home with pain medication, which I gave her the first night but she didn't seem to need it the next day at all.

Good luck and I hope all goes well. I'll be thinking of that cutie on the 18th! :peacewink:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The mounting may be more of a dominace thing than hormones. Sometimes my females do that or else stand next to another one and kinda push against them in a dominate way.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oakley was 3 lbs at her spay and did just fine :) :) I bet Libby will do just a-ok as well. Sorry she is still being a brat. I do think that some of it can be hormones. My little intact male is an absolute toolshed to my neutered male, sweet as sugar to all the girls, but all hell raises whenever the neutered boy even walks by Bryco...he doesn't do it with us though, only w/ the only other boy dog in the house. I am pretty sure had he been neutered he wouldn't be that way w/ poor Trig.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advice! I really hope that this helps her! I notice that she still tries to stand over Bella and Bella gets so mad and won't let her. Do you think that maybe Bella isn't letting in to Libby's dominance plea?? Haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts