Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a madhouse around here lately! Libby got spayed this past Friday and I was a complete wreck! Dropped her off at around 8:30 am and then had to go teach little 3rd graders all day. I went to pick her up later that day and she was so lethargic, nothing like herself. She was in alot of pain. The clinic I went to didn't give me any pain medication, so I had to call back and ask if I could give her something, and they said baby aspirin was okay. That definitely helped her. The first and second day were rough. She would not let me go near her, so she just slept all day. Bless her heart, she did try to get up to go potty on the wee pad, but I had moved her out into the living room with me in her crate (so I could keep and eye on her) and totally forgot to move a wee pad near her..So she franctically tried to find one, but ended weeing on the floor..Poor thing. I'll admit, that was my fault. I noticed it seemed like she was slightly in pain going poo right after. They did bandage her up because I said that she may try to pick at the stitches, so she is bandaded all around her belly.

Yesterday and today have been awesome. Her attitude seems so different. I have posted before about food and how she is VERY aggressive with it. I took her into a small room, just her and I, and just sat there and hand-fed her pieces. She usually takes a piece very harshly and then runs to a corner and guards it. Yesterday, she gently took piece by piece from my hand and ate it right next to me. She would not let me pet her, but hey, I think it is a step. She is also alot more cuddly. I have had her up on my bed while I am web-browsing and she just burrows underneath my comforter, next to my leg.

On the other hand, I notice that Bella has been starting some drama with her. When Bella gets near her, she starts to do this high-pitched growl, while Libby just sits and stares at her like, "huh?" Do you think Bella senses something?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Those girls are just too cute!
I don't even understand not giving pain meds!! That's just ludicrous in my opinion. I wonder if the vet would forgo pain meds if he/she had surgery? I'm guessing NOT!! It was just so unnecessary for her to have to be in pain.
Glad to hear Miss Libby is feeling better. ;)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thats so awesome that you are seeing an improvement in her already! We had Leo neutered on Friday as well. I bet Bella can tell she isnt feeling 100% and is just curious whats up, everyone here keeps wanting to check on Leo and sniff at his stitches.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those girls are just too cute!
I don't even understand not giving pain meds!! That's just ludicrous in my opinion. I wonder if the vet would forgo pain meds if he/she had surgery? I'm guessing NOT!! It was just so unnecessary for her to have to be in pain.
Glad to hear Miss Libby is feeling better. ;)
Yea, I know! When I went to get her, I was just so nervous to see her that it totally slipped my mind, and then when I got home I was like, "Wait a minute!" She was okay once I gave her some medicine, but I was in awe that they didn't give anything or even ask. It's amazing how she is so much more lovable now..Still has a few "moments" but not nearly like before.

Thats so awesome that you are seeing an improvement in her already! We had Leo neutered on Friday as well. I bet Bella can tell she isnt feeling 100% and is just curious whats up, everyone here keeps wanting to check on Leo and sniff at his stitches.
Yea, Bella is being a little weirdo..Haha, Glad Leo is okay! It is scary dropping them off and expecting everything to go well. I know it is a surgery that they do often, but it still scared me! Ha

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Hmm not sure why bella would be starting stuff with libby. My guess is it will stop soon though. I am glad libby is chilling out a bit. I hope getting spayed will somehow take the "grouchy" out of her. ;) lol
Sounds like libby is improving with her good aggression. Do you ever take something away from her when she's eating ..ie: food, bone, treat?? I would maybe do that and then give it right back of course so she sees you are alpha and can Give Or Take. Sometimes when leila is chewing her beloved bones and my youngest son pats her head she will let out a tiny growl. She doesn
t do that to me and it makes me really angry that she thinks she can do that to him. I correct her by saying NO and giving her a poke in the side, and i'll take take her bone away for a few secs and have him give it back.
When leila got spayed she had an injection for pain and they also gave her pills as well. which she took the day of and the next day but i dont' think she seemed sore after that. I can't imagine not giving them anything. :( Poor thing. Glad you gave her aspirin. :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Glad to hear Libby is doing well after her surgery. Sounds like you are making postitive progress with her. We are thinking about you and your babies.

Quigley send his love to his Bella Luna..

·
Registered
768 Posts
When Lola got spayed they sent her home with pain relief but they did say they normally dont... their reasn for giving Lola them was because they no how prescious she is!!!! aww! Big hugs for libby x

·
Registered
74 Posts
when marley was spayed they sent us home with pain medication for her...the first two days she wasnt herself at all but by the third day she was slowly going back to her crazy little self! just give it some time & she will be back to normal :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
The vets around here never send any pain meds home. I have some left over from when I got Twiggy. Pepper needed a little the night after his neuter, but Smoke never indicated he was in pain, in fact he slept all day after his. By the next day, Pepper was fine. Smoke took a week to really bounce back from his neuter, but it wasn't pain related. I think it had to do with his neurological problems and he ran a slight fever, but the incision was clean and not infected? Could have been a reaction to his rabies shot. He seems to have a hard time getting over things. I'm so glad it's over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts