Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can chis get a rash from licking too much :( . It seem as though everytime Hershey gets into this licking craze the next day she has a rash where she has been licking then she sctatches and makes cuts and scabs appear :shock: . Just wondering...

She loves to lick under her front arms and her belly. Since I thought this was the problem I have been trying to stop her. She hates when I tell her to stop. She looks at me like 'You big meanie!!' :x If this is the problem, how can I get her to stop?

She loves to lick and I would hate to take this away from her but it seems to be the root of a problem that has been going on for a long time. I have tried that bitter apple spray but it only seems to last about 30min with her. Yet again I get the big meanie look from her. :x

She has also been biting her legs in the front and she licks those too. What a delemah! I just want her to stop getting rashes and stop scratching. It looks so terrable when she cuts her self. :(

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
It does sound like excessive licking. Have you tried using a different shampoo (something with oatmeal in it)? I'm sure some other folks here will have suggestions but I don't think the bitter apple stuff is the answer. If she has a problem, just making her stop licking isn't going to solve it.

Have you talked to your vet about possible skin problems?

·
Registered
332 Posts
She might be allergic to something she's eating or shampoo maybe perfume. My vet told me that if my Marcus ever started licking or biting himself to bring him in. I don't know if I helped :?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah but all they have said was "Maybe it is allergies. Lets wait till winter comes around and see if it stops" I thought that was a sh1^^y answer so I decided to ask the pros. LOL

·
Registered
332 Posts
my mom's chi has allergies and they give her liquid benadryl and the dog stopped scratching. A child's size dose is needed but switch shampoo. We use baby shampoo and no problems.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Vanessa said:
Yeah but all they have said was "Maybe it is allergies. Lets wait till winter comes around and see if it stops" I thought that was a sh1^^y answer so I decided to ask the pros. LOL
I don't particularly care for their answer. :roll: How would they like to "wait till winter" if they had a horrible itchy rash!! It sounds like they just didn't want to be bothered. I'd find a new vet fast. :x

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I really don't like the answer your vet gave you either. It's really not an answer at all truthfully.

I would start looking for another vet. It sounds like she may have some type of skin condition, and maybe the licking makes it feel better. Until you can find a new vet, I would try the benedryl, and maybe some oatmeal shampoo. My last chi had very dry and sensitive skin, and the oatmeal shampoo seemed to help.

Good luck - keep us posted.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JOLIE'SMOM said:
I think the licking is happening because something is bothering her. You might try benedryl to see if it helps. And i think i'd find another vet too. One who is more interested in helping my dog. :)
I was wondering about that but I don't think that is the case because when she is not licking herself she is licking me or whoever is holding her... she just loves to lick.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Well, i was thinking of the rashes ,scratching, cuts and scabs...sure sounds like an itchy problem to me. :) One of mine used to do this..and a rash always appeared...i wasn't really ever sure exactly what the problem was except that she seems to have sensitive skin and possibly some allergies to certain things. It has gotten better and happens less often since she grows older. But again, i vote for benedryl! :)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep that sounds like allergies my Chihuahua Princess suffers from allergies I have been giving her Grizzly Salmon Oil,Prozyme,and she gets a bath once a week with a Medicated Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil Shampoo it can be used daily and i put Vets Bests Leave-in Conditioner Daily it has helped alot. Yes she would lick us as well as licking and biting her legs,scratching them.What are you feed your chi is also imporantant no dry dog food that contains corn,wheat,soy,and fillers? For example:Natural Balance,Innova,Canidaen,Nupro Ultra are free of corn,wheat,soy, and fillers
this ingredients most dogs can be allergic to as well as treats made of beef.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Unfortunatly obsesive licking can be the result of allergies and a few other things.
I would suggest getting her to that other vet real soon.

Koke has terrible skin problems and does the obsesive licking too. I have to keep a shirt on her at all times to keep her from licking sores on herself.
You might try to get her attention on something else when she starts licking herself or you. Like stick a chew stick in front of her nose or what ever is her favorite thing to chew on. Transfer her licking obsession to a chew toy.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've pup a shirt on her. (Even my boyfriend thought that was a good idea, he not into dogs wearing clothes. He's just gonna have to get use to it.) But she takes it off and I had to put the harness over and that helped to keep it off but then she would lick where the shirt would end or her lower leggs and paws :shock: . It is a vicious cycle. :?

It kind of seems that it bothers me more than it bothers her because she is scratching less. By I'd say 70%. So there's an improvement. I just wish it would all go away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts