Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is there a life expectancy for chis? My last one (Rusty R.I.P.) lived 22 years. And very sprie to the very end. And Roxy is almost 2. I can't bear the fact of loosing her too. Thank You , Kay

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I believe the average life expectancy of a Chihuahua is 15 - 18 years. They have the longest life expectancy of any dog. You were fortunate to have Rusty for so long --- I hope Roxy lives at least that long. :D

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
For her weight the average is about 15yrs (*knock on wood* that she stays healthy). I have seen a couple 18yr old chi's come in and they looked pretty darn good for their age.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Toby was 3 days off his 16th birthday when he died,dont know how old Penny was as she was a rescue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
22 is a great age, I wish they all lived that long. At present I've got 4 at 12yrs, 2 at 14yrs & 1 at 16yrs & none of them act their age :shock:
but we've lost 3 between 12 -14yrs due to heart problems :( They do seem to outlive other breeds though :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Wow, 22 years! That is a long life. I've never had one that lived beyond 12 years, however I think one reason for that is they were rescues and all had some health problems when I got them.

Jasmine is the first chi puppy I've had since I was a child. According to my vet, she is completely healthy so I'm hoping she will have a long and healthy life. Chis do have a longer life expectancy that most other breeds.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
A friend of mines sister lost her chihuahua at 23 years old.. but the last 2 years she was really sick and old.... she did live a good life....

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You so much for your input. I feel very fortunate to have had Rusty for that long. I hope Roxy will beat that. Kay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts