Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my little Bryco. I really, really do.

But man he has decided marking is his thing. And it seems to be especially his thing first thing in the AM. They all start crying to be let out of their crates at around 6 which is before we need to be up, and I usually let him out so he can use his potty pad in our room. The others can all wait til we take them downstairs, but he cant.

Lately, though, hes been refusing to pee on his potty pad. He'll take his poo then start wandering around. At first I just thought he was wandering around. Oh no. Today I realized he is making his rounds, marking things (or maybe he's just started?). We've been very consistent correcting him if he does it in the house, but downstairs where we spend most of our time, he really has gotten that's not an OK thing to do... He gets this little sheepish look if he does it like "oopsie momma I forgetted!".

But today he was just a raging little brat. First, he marked on his crate. Then he marked on the bath mat. Then when I was peeing, the little brat peed on ME! So on went his belly band (this is all within 3 minutes of opening my eyes so I wasn't quite pleased). That was enough of that. But for the remainder of the AM he tried to mark his food bowl (honestly what sane creature pees where it eats), a shoe, a door, and a little stuffed toy. What the heck!

Then he came whimpering to me cuz his little twinkie & belly were wet. I don't know if I should just plan to take him for a walk when I first open my eyes in the AM or what...but shortly that won't be an option because snow will start and then our parking lot will be really icy. And ugh that just sounds awful.

Are their hormones just more on go in the AM? He is fine at night lately, in the livingroom where they spend most of their time he doesn't mark anything (that we know of). On walks he marks everything under the sun and thats fine. But this morning ritual thats starting up is nooooot cool.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh man, the joys of an intact male. I don't have any words of advice for you, but you have my total sympathy!! I don't think I could deal with that. Yuck! Poor you! ;)

I guess I would just make letting him outside first thing in the morning my main priority! And then I'd probably put the belly band on for good measure.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, the joys of an intact male. I don't have any words of advice for you, but you have my total sympathy!! I don't think I could deal with that. Yuck! Poor you! ;)

I guess I would just make letting him outside first thing in the morning my main priority! And then I'd probably put the belly band on for good measure.

The problem lately seems to be his little pea-brain says "oo...I should keeps my tank full so I can has tinkles on fings!".

Its not really a big deal, I just was so miffed I couldn't even have my eyes open for 3 minutes and pee without being peed on, LOL. He is so sweet, but man. He's at least stopped humping for the time being *knocks on wood*.

If he'd just take a real pee first thing like he used to, I don't think he'd be such an issue, but not sure how to make that happen.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
When Sebastian was intact, I had to have about 10 belly bands & pads so I could change them multiple times a day, he peed on everything. Drove me ABSOLUTELY bonkers.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When Sebastian was intact, I had to have about 10 belly bands & pads so I could change them multiple times a day, he peed on everything. Drove me ABSOLUTELY bonkers.
The worst part is this AM he got out of his bellyband 2x. LOL. And yes, its the right size. He figured out if he slides along the floor w/ his legs straight out behind him and his tail flat, it will come off! I could scream ;) Its a little funny but then not really :p:foxes15:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh wow i have always had male dogs,never had your problem,maybe neutering will help.
He's intact for now as I am hoping to show him and possibly breed him if I can finish him and he passes all the necessary health tests. So for now neutering is not an option...oh well.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Marking is totally a small doggy thing. Our Zander was intact until this year (he was 6 when he went to live with my dad) - he never even lifted his leg to pee. haha

Like I've said...I have no idea on how to break it short of catching him & correcting him. Marley & Maxie are still banned from being upstairs simply because they were more apt to mark up there for whatever reason. LOL @ marking his food dish - he wants to make sure every knows it's HIS!

Reminds me of one time Ivy had treats in a bowl & left it (empty) down in the sunroom on my wooden cabinet. I kid you not I went down a little bit later & found pee in it. Not a drop around it but the bowl itself had a nice little urine sample. No idea who did that but wheover it was has very good aim! ;)

I hope to goodness his hormones "calm" at some point. I've decided as easy as males are to welcome into a pack if we ever get a Chi to show it will be a female because I simply can't stand the marking! I'm sorry you're having to deal with it... :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
HeHeHeHe and on and on,This post made My day !! Sorry for laughing at a very serious problem but The way You wrote the first post got Me. :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marking is totally a small doggy thing. Our Zander was intact until this year (he was 6 when he went to live with my dad) - he never even lifted his leg to pee. haha

Like I've said...I have no idea on how to break it short of catching him & correcting him. Marley & Maxie are still banned from being upstairs simply because they were more apt to mark up there for whatever reason. LOL @ marking his food dish - he wants to make sure every knows it's HIS!

Reminds me of one time Ivy had treats in a bowl & left it (empty) down in the sunroom on my wooden cabinet. I kid you not I went down a little bit later & found pee in it. Not a drop around it but the bowl itself had a nice little urine sample. No idea who did that but wheover it was has very good aim! ;)

I hope to goodness his hormones "calm" at some point. I've decided as easy as males are to welcome into a pack if we ever get a Chi to show it will be a female because I simply can't stand the marking! I'm sorry you're having to deal with it... :(
Well he clearly is going through dif changes. He had a humping phase that lasted about a month where poor poor other doggies in my house. He would hang onto Laurel's head and hump it for dear life. Sort of sad I never got a video because Laurel would be growling and this little white fluff ball was just going at her.

Now he's in a peeing phase. We obviously will do whatever it takes to correct it but worst comes to worst, bellybands will just be our best friend :) I love him to death but he is so naughty!

HeHeHeHe and on and on,This post made My day !! Sorry for laughing at a very serious problem but The way You wrote the first post got Me. :D
LOL its ok, I have laughed a good bit about it too. I knew it would likely be a problem I just couldn't believe how naught he was this AM :-x

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
But today he was just a raging little brat. First, he marked on his crate. Then he marked on the bath mat. Then when I was peeing, the little brat peed on ME! So on went his belly band (this is all within 3 minutes of opening my eyes so I wasn't quite pleased). That was enough of that. But for the remainder of the AM he tried to mark his food bowl (honestly what sane creature pees where it eats), a shoe, a door, and a little stuffed toy. What the heck!

Then he came whimpering to me cuz his little twinkie & belly were wet. I don't know if I should just plan to take him for a walk when I first open my eyes in the AM or what...but shortly that won't be an option because snow will start and then our parking lot will be really icy. And ugh that just sounds awful.
Oh! what a little Monkey! I did laugh out loud a bit reading this.
I'm not really sure what to suggest? did the little fire hydrants come yet? is he totally ignoring them?

Oh wow i have always had male dogs,never had your problem,maybe neutering will help.
Ditto!

The worst part is this AM he got out of his bellyband 2x. LOL. And yes, its the right size. He figured out if he slides along the floor w/ his legs straight out behind him and his tail flat, it will come off! I could scream ;) Its a little funny but then not really :p:foxes15:
Smart cookie! somehow I can just visualize him doing that, you need to make a video! it would be hilarious.
I'm sorry I'm not much help here, AJ is not much of a "marker"

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh man, that sucks, Kristi. :( No advice as I've never dealt with this, but I really feel for for you. Hope you can find something that helps. :\

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
well lets see first off I would do what you have to to take him outside to potty in the morning yes marking inside should be a phase but you have to see it he is the smallest, intact and in a "pack" so he thinks he has to mark everything. take him outside in morning and often(I would pick him up so he doesn't mark on the way), then when inside belly band time I would also try after a couple of weeks to take off belly band so this won't be a forever thing and can be inside with out marking. that's about it I can think of for now.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well lets see first off I would do what you have to to take him outside to potty in the morning yes marking inside should be a phase but you have to see it he is the smallest, intact and in a "pack" so he thinks he has to mark everything. take him outside in morning and often(I would pick him up so he doesn't mark on the way), then when inside belly band time I would also try after a couple of weeks to take off belly band so this won't be a forever thing and can be inside with out marking. that's about it I can think of for now.
I think its a good plan. I don't want him wearing belly bands forever but for now he definitely is not pleased when he's wet himself from marking and I am hoping that will help get the message across when i happen to miss his sneaky little pees ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That would drive me nuts!! For what it's worth though, Bruiser still marks on occassion and he is neutered! I find he does it more when he is feeling threatened. But I guess I would agree with the others about a good long walk and maybe throw in some running too to get all that extra tension out. You could try a doggie treadmill for the winter. Good thing that boy is cute!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just wanted to say...
When Finn was a puppy and not neutered yet, he marked outside like it was goin' out of style! Pee all day. No joke. Then it got cold... started raining, a bit of snow... and that was the end of that! When he's outside in inclement weather for even a little bit with a jacket on, it's like he's going to die or something. He pees super quick, really hard (lol) and runs right back inside! That habit continued after having him neutered, but if it's warm outside... He's the peeing machine.
Hopefully Bryco will hate the cold weather just as much and get it all out in one try! :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Wow! Yeah, that would drive me bonkers too.

My roommate had an intact pug that passed away, (at age 12) a few months back. He was confined to the den because he attempted to mark on everything all the time. She had an assortment of belly bands, which he wore whenever he was out of his crate. She also lined them with Depends, or any other human incontinence pads she found on sale, because the belly band alone wasn't absorbent at all, and would start dripping pretty much after the first time he marked.....and he marked ALL the time!

Tango was around 7 1/2 months when I rescued him, and he was intact. I had him neutered shortly after I got him and he never began the marking behavior, at least in the house. He'll squat to pee when he's inside, but interestingly, the moment he goes outside, he marks on EVERYTHING. That little leg goes up every few steps it seems! He seems to have some innate differentiation between inside and out, and won't mark where he lives, I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts