Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm brand new, just registered.

Got my new baby, Tiny, just about three weeks ago. She was six months when I got her. As soon as I get my new scanner, I'll post a photo. She is the cutest thing and so loving. She'll be sitting on my lap and just all of a sudden lean back on my left arm and just look up at me for a long time, like she thinks I'm the most wonderful thing in the world. I got her after I lost my two 18 yr old poodles.

My question is: I want her to eat Science Diet or at least dry food that will give her the best nutrition possible. She only wants to eat what I eat and no matter how I try (I've given her every dry food at the vet and grocery store). The vet told me to put bacon greast (which I don't have, but I cooked some for her) or corn oil on the food. I did that and she will eat it the first time I gave it to and perhaps the next day, but after that, she snubs her nose at it and will just starve. She is kind of thin and I'm worried about her. I really don't know if she'll eat the canned, but I didn't want to feed her that.

I know all you veteran chi owners will know what to do. Pls help!:hello1:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't feed the science diet it's not a high quality food is full of corn which is number one cause of allergies in dogs.

If you look in our nutrition section there are lots of posts on food there

·
Registered
852 Posts
Welcome :D Can't wait to see pics of Tiny. Sounds like she's settling in great!

Most vets push the Science Diet because they're sponsored by them.
Seriously, corn oil on her food? lol wow that sounds awful!

If you do want to feed dry food, I'd suggest to look at this site:
Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

It gives you lots of info and reviews of different food. It also tells you the ingredients of them and gives them a star rating.

If you find a dry food that you like the sound of, and Tiny still is turning her nose up, you can also buy some wet food (not the canned stuff from supermarkets though) and mix some of that in there with the dry for the time being.

Also, when feeding her you should leave the food down for about 15 mins. If she refuses, offer it again in a few hours. Keep doing this until she eats it. She WILL get hungry and give in, Chi's are such stubborn little ones!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i agree, stuff that vets sell is rubbish!
Have a look on the dogfoodanalysis site as mentioned above,there is much better kibble out there if that is what you want to go with.

When mine were being picky i rubbed their bowls with either cheese or chicken and that did help, i also lifted the food and put it down later.
I know it is awful when they wont eat and you worry, but you have to be strong.
Good luck and let us know how you get on. xx

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You will definitely want to look for a pet specialty store that sells premium foods if you are concerned about your pups nutrition. Anything you find at the grocery store, vet or most found at big box stores are going to be low quality foods that are likely to cause allergies, dry/itchy skin, tartar build up and just more unhealthy in general. I personally recommend either ZiwiPeak or the Honest Kitchen. Both of these foods are dehydrated raw & while the "sticker price" is shocking at first glace both you do not need to feed a lot of because of it's quality. (the Honest Kitchen you have to rehydrate so a 10lb box makes 43lbs of fresh food which would last 1 pup a LONG time!) This food will be most gentle on tummies, typically won't cause any allergies because they are all natural, no fillers/dyes/etc, minimally processed & will keep your pup the best health possible (short of feeding raw which I feel is the #1 diet for dogs).

Most vets honestly do not know a lot about pet nutrition & are taught what they do know by these companies like Hills & Purina. They basically get paid for recommending these brands as well. So definitely take it upon yourself to research...

The two foods I mentioned above will give you nice firm poo's (the ziwipeak will give small poos as well) that don't smell horrible, it doesn't create as much tartar build up (especially when you pair it with a raw bone in chicken meal every week or so & other raw recreational bones & chews like nylabones) & you will find your pup doesn't have dry skin, has a nice shiney coat, has minimal shedding and doesn't have a bad doggy smell. Though through my experience we did get a little bit of a doggy smell with Honest Kitchen. Not ZiwiPeak. (I'm assuming because the ZiwiPeak is meat only where as the Honest Kitchen contains fruits & veggies)

Anyway, good luck in getting your pup to eat...hopefully a nice quality food! Oh & I've found many picky eaters enjoy the Honest Kitchen so that may be a way you want to go. The Keen formula is the least expensive of them all...and I've heard most pups prefer that particular formula. Just to give you an idea. :) Good luck at any rate. Welcome to the board & I can't wait to see a pic of your precious baby!!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Please don't put bacon grease on her food! That will make her feel sick & she'll start eating grass. I used to feed Science Diet thinking it was a high quality food.. Boy, was I wrong once I started researching the web! I now feed The Honest Kitchen & I'm happy with it. Science Diet is an overprocessed food made with a lot of chemicals & fillers (not good at all for our Chis). I think it's the cause or part there of of Midgies allergies. You've come to the right place for nutritional info & care for your Chi. There's a lot of great info & hands-on experience here that will definitely help you learn everything there is to know about your Chi.
Congratulations & a Welcome!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
When we got Bella the breeder pushed hills science diet on us but she NEVER liked it and im convinced she'd have grown better/healthier if we had changed earlier, for months it was a struggle to get her to eat it, we tried soaking it in water and stuff but it smelt horrible.

We now feed her Orijen which is a 6 star dry kibble and ziwipeak which is dehydrated raw in convenient little bite size pieces :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
PLEASE do not put bacon grease on her food that is asking for pancreatitis which can kill her. I work for a vet and have seen that happen numerous times. We actually have a sheltie in our hospital right now who's daycare thought it would be good to feed the dogs the remains of a pork feast (cooked bones, fat, skin etc). The dog is really sick. Also Science Diet although vet's promote it (because they don't know any better) is a very poor quality food, it is mostly corn which dogs (like humans) don't digest very well. I would recommend something like either raw, ziwi peak, Honest Kitchen if you don't want that route then Orijen or Acana, Blue Buffalo, Wellness or Solid Gold. You will probably find your baby will eat a lot better when the food actually tastes better than corn. You will also have to feed a lot less of a higher quality food. My Zoey eats raw and she never misses a meal, (although even when fed higher end kibbles she was my little piglet). Georgie my pomeranian was a lot picker, but now that we feed raw food, he snarfs every meal (except smelt fish he hates thoughs lol).

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I second what everyone else has said. Science Diet is full of corn, chemicals, fillers etc., and is not good for your dog. I alternate between Orijen and Evo Innova, and occasionally Taste Of The Wild (the Barking at the Moon formula) all of which are grainless, 5 - 6 star premium foods. I feed about 1/8 cup twice a day, and my dogs ( one is 3 1/2 lb, and one is 4 lb) eat ALL their food when I put it down for them. They're HUNGRY by the time it's feeding time, and that's the secret. Your dog won't starve herself. If she's hungry enough, she WILL eat, even if it's not her favorite food, or a kibble she turned her nose up at earlier.

These little guys really know how to play us lol! They look so tiny, and helpless, and pitiful. :D Get tough about her food! You're doing her no favors......table food and putting grease or oil on her kibble are both extremely unhealthy practices.

When you get her a high quality kibble from a specialty store, also buy a small can or two of high quality wet food. It doesn't have to be the same brand, you just want a decent flavoring agent to get her initially interested in the kibble. Then mix just a small dab of wet food in with her kibble, put it down for her to eat, and if she turns her nose up at it, pick it back up again (after 15 minutes or so.) Don't give her ANYTHING else till the next feeding time....no treats, no little bits of your food, nothing. You want her HUNGRY the next time you offer food. Eventually you can phase out mixing the wet in with the kibble. She's old enough that you could feed her twice a day, but initially I'd start out at 3X, especially since we don't know how much she weighs. If she really is a tiny chi, I'd still be a little concerned about hypoglycemia.

When I buy cans of wet food for mine (I crush their heartgard medication and mix it in with the food) I take a small can and portion it out, a spoonful at a time, into an ice cube container. Then I freeze it, pop the cubes into a freezer baggie, and thaw it a cube at a time whenever I need it. It's a good idea for you to do something similar, especially since if she doesn't eat her food initially, you're going to have to discard it if it's been mixed with wet food. That mixture doesn't keep well from morning till evening.

Please let us know how she's doing.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You have been given excellent advice here!

Please research dog foods and also the industry that creates it. It is eye opening.

There are many options for feeding our little guys .... a good quality premium kibble, home cooked, a raw diet, dehydrated or frozen raw, a mix like Honest Kitchen, etc.

But I would get rid of the Science Diet for sure and get her on a better food. That should be your first step. Oh, and get rid of the corn oil and bacon grease. ;)

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Yes great advice here. I would suggest for kibble Fromm, Orijen, Artemis. And the dehydrated food from The Honest Kitchen. I got some free samples from a natural food place here in town for that and my dog lovvvvved it. I am feeding my 6 mos. old Orijen (moneywise its the best i can do) and she likes it alot. It's very high in protein. Sometimes adding a bit of water to the kibble will get them going.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree. No bacon grease.

I would change to a higher quality grain-free food. If she needs to be enticed, you can put small strips of meat (chicken) or a small amount of wet food in there. Make sure you mix it up well.

I have a Chi that will. not. eat. kibble. No matter how long you make her wait. She just won't do it. So, good luck! I know how stubborn these Chi girls can be!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank all of you soooo much. I'm going to need your help because I haven't had a chi and I love her so much. If something happened to her, I don't know what I'd do

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome! You are on the right track :) I agree with the others, Science Diet is not a good food. Quite frankly I am shocked that your vet told you to put Bacon grease on the food? My vet asked me if I had been doing this when we thought My Dane had Pancreatitis, he said that putting grease on the food was a big cause of this. In my opinion I would change vets, but that is just my opinion ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts