Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest son and I took Holly for a walk yesterday. We were able to visit Lilly the chi that has been living on the property since October and to our surprise she let us pet her! And not for a little bit either. My son sat down next to her and pet her for a good while. Both of us wanted to grab her, but I thought it'd be better if we didn't. She's still a little skittish. I want her to gain our trust a bit more before we try a move like that. She's been doing so well. I'd hate to blow it now!

Here's a pic of my youngest with Lilly:

PS We tried petting her again today. I was able to momentarily, but other than that she wouldn't have it. :(

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
The pic of your son and Lily is adorable.. two of my favorite things.. children and chis!
From the pic, someone is obviously feeding Lily, right?
Was she dropped off by someone do you think, or is she lost? Will your family consider taking her home to live with you once you have gained her trust? If you have already answered all these ?s please excuse me for asking again. I hate to think of her living on her own and outside in the weather. Deb

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I would actually grab her the next time you see her as there may not be a next time. Roaming around she is exposed to the weather and bigger stray animals and cars and so many other things that can harm her. She will forgive you quickly after you bring her home. It took me 2 hours to finally grab Isis, but once I got her home, she was so sweet and friendly and grateful. Maybe if your little one can slip a leash around her neck? Then quickly pick her up and offer a treat and she should be fine.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What a lovely picture.

I would actually grab her the next time you see her as there may not be a next time. Roaming around she is exposed to the weather and bigger stray animals and cars and so many other things that can harm her. She will forgive you quickly after you bring her home. It took me 2 hours to finally grab Isis, but once I got her home, she was so sweet and friendly and grateful. Maybe if your little one can slip a leash around her neck? Then quickly pick her up and offer a treat and she should be fine.
I agree with this. You don't know what could happen to her before the next time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pic of your son and Lily is adorable.. two of my favorite things.. children and chis!
From the pic, someone is obviously feeding Lily, right?
Was she dropped off by someone do you think, or is she lost? Will your family consider taking her home to live with you once you have gained her trust? If you have already answered all these ?s please excuse me for asking again. I hate to think of her living on her own and outside in the weather. Deb
No problem Deb. I don't mind answering the questions.

Yep, that's right! My neighbor's son is feeding her, although I've given her food before.

I don't know. She might have been dropped off. I was told by someone around the time I found her that people had been dumping animals in the area (there's a stray cat on the property as well), so I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

And yes, we have considered it. We'd be more than happy to take her in, that is, if she is willing to be adopted by my family. I have to say though that she seems to have taken more of a fancy to my neighbor's son.

I'd love to be able to just grab her, but it appears that Lilly was abused at some point. Not only is her mouth screwed up, but when I first found her she'd bolt at the slightest sound or if anyone tried to approach her. After months of patience (and persistence) she is just now coming around to letting us pet her. I'm afraid that if I did grab or leash her it'd do more harm than good.

By the way, I know all about the dangers that lurk out there. I've worried about that as well. However, she has since shown just how smart she is. She also has no desire to go anywhere and sticks close to my neighbor's house. My neighbor's son made a dog house for her as well. It may not be the best set up for a chi, but she's happy with it.

PS I've already posted this picture of Lilly, but thought I'd be fitting to post it again on this thread. It was around the time I first found her. You can see just how scared she was. I couldn't even get near her. I had to use the zoom on the camera just to get this picture of her. As you can see, she's made quite a change since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts