Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as some of you know we had to take my parents old chi mix to the vet last week because she literally couldn't walk. He gave her a cortisone shot and pain meds and told us that she had a degenerative spinal disease. They can treat the pain and make her comfortable but there is no cure.

Over the weekend, we noticed that she was limping very badly again. Today my mom decided to take her back in because she could barely get up. Well, the vet found a torn miniscus? I have no idea if I spelled that right or not. They told her that she should go to an ortho but we just don't have $4000 for the likely surgery. Then they told us that often these injuries heal on their own so we bought her a crate, an orthopedic bed, and a soft pad. She will be relegated to downstairs which will be hard because she's used to sleeping upstairs. I hope this injury heals because the pain meds aren't working well and it's sad.

So right now it is a wait and see situation. We are doing everything we can to nurse her back to health. For 11ish years she has had NO health problems and never caused any difficulty. It's so hard to see her like this.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
So sorry to hear that. I had a dog who couldn't walk properly near the end of his life, caused by something that couldn't be cured, and it's so hard to see. The orthopedic bed should help a lot. Hopefully her latest injury will heal itself. Are you giving her any supplements to assist in the healing? Would glucosamine or anything like that help?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It's so sad when they age and start to go down hill. Anyway you can take her upstairs in her crate so she can still sleep up where she's used to? It will help her heal if she isn't as stressed, I believed.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
She's allergic to glucosamine and chondroitin. We've tried it several times.
Oh, darn. I can't remember if it was you that I was telling about Recovery SA. We gave it to our senior dog, and it helped a lot. I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain any glucosamine or chondroitin, and is supposed to promote healing. My mom actually took the human kind for her arthritis as well, and said that it did help with pain. Kind of pricey, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad with a small dog.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's a mutt and way too large (about 35-40 lbs) to carry up and down the stairs :( she's been sleeping downstairs for a couple weeks now and seems to be okay with it. She knows she can't do it anymore. She doesn't even want to go outside anymore and only will go twice a day now.

It is so sad seeing her like this. We love her so much and never contemplated having to cope with this. We are determined to do the best we can for her in her old age and make her as content as possible. If she continues to be in pain, we will have to figure out the next step.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll look into that Krystal. I'll have my mom ask the vet too cause I don't want anything to potentially interact wih her meds. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Ashley, so sorry your Lilly is going through this, and that all of you are having to watch her helplessly. It is just heartbreaking. I pray that she will heal quickly and not be in much pain.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I'll look into that Krystal. I'll have my mom ask the vet too cause I don't want anything to potentially interact wih her meds. Thanks.
Yes, definitely do. The vet will probably know if it would make a difference or not. Technically our dog's issue (which the vet thought was neurological caused by arthritis) wasn't listed as a condition that the Recovery treats, but it definitely made his life better. We still had bad days of course. We also checked with our vet, and thankfully it was okay with his pain meds. We actually found that it made such an improvement that we only administered his meds when needed instead of everyday. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Hope this is of "some" comfort! It may be different for dogs, but, my husband had a torn miniscus!! lol. And it did heal on its own. Yes, it was painful, but he took tylenol or something. So, hopefully, with rest, she will recover from it. Or at least, with rest, it shouldn't get worse.
I wish all the best for her.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for all the support regarding Lilly. Finally some good news: this morning, we took her outside and she ran around in the yard like she used to!! It was amazing to see. She looked so happy and barely limped at all. Her pain is always a bit less in the morning after she rests all night, but this is the best she's been in weeks! It's been hard keeping her off te furniture and whatnot, but I think her miniscus is healing. She will never be 100% because of her spine condition, but if this injury heals at least we can make her comfortable!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hey guys! Thanks for all the support regarding Lilly. Finally some good news: this morning, we took her outside and she ran around in the yard like she used to!! It was amazing to see. She looked so happy and barely limped at all. Her pain is always a bit less in the morning after she rests all night, but this is the best she's been in weeks! It's been hard keeping her off te furniture and whatnot, but I think her miniscus is healing. She will never be 100% because of her spine condition, but if this injury heals at least we can make her comfortable!
That is great news!! I am so happy for y'all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
She's a mutt and way too large (about 35-40 lbs) to carry up and down the stairs :( she's been sleeping downstairs for a couple weeks now and seems to be okay with it. She knows she can't do it anymore. She doesn't even want to go outside anymore and only will go twice a day now.

It is so sad seeing her like this. We love her so much and never contemplated having to cope with this. We are determined to do the best we can for her in her old age and make her as content as possible. If she continues to be in pain, we will have to figure out the next step.
Do the best you can for her, but do not feel guilty if she is still in pain and you have to decide to put her down. That's the humane thing to do. Best wishes and Chi hugs.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Aw! That's good to hear. Everyday like that is a gift! So glad that you might have the chance to extend her life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts