Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? Should I call my vet? I am getting her spayed later this summer (my vet didn't want to do it while she had her broken leg) and I thought that I wouldn't have to deal with this again before I could get her in! Any input would be great. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I just had Maya spayed and she apparently was still in heat after almost 3 months!!! Turns out she had a pretty large ovarian cyst which the vet said explained the prolonged heat. I would call the vet and see what they say.
Tricia

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes call the vet. That's not normal. It could be an open pyometra that is draining and not an average heat cycle. I'd definitely not wait and get her checked out ASAP.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I have heard of dogs having a split heat.
Please see your Vet. And, give us an update when you
find out what's going on with Lily. I hope she's okay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took Lily into the vet today and he checked her out thoroughly. He told me that she is "spotting" and that it is not an actual heat cycle. It should last two days maximum and then go away. I am so thankful!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Glad that she is ok. When Mia got spayed in April it turned out that she was stil in heat, she began in mid February. My vet told me that the heat cycle could last up to 8 weeks. Even though she wasn't spotting, she was still in heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts