Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lily has had a rough couple of days. Yesterday she had her lyme booster and the vet took a blood sample to determine whether she has enough antibodies to warrant skipping the parvo/distemper shot this year. They had trouble finding a vein and it took a lot longer to draw blood than I would have liked. Lily never even whimpered but I could see the pain on her face. :(

Today she's not really herself and I attribute that to the lyme shot. She's a bit lethargic and sleepy. She also seems to have some discomfort in her tummy when I pick her up. Is that normal? I don't remember that happening last year (though last year she had pain in her back after her shots).

But the worst part of all is that she had another "shaking episode" after we got home today. I still won't call them seizures but this is the third one since October. It's just that her whole body and head shake (like a Parkinson's sufferer) for 45-60 seconds. I do think she's aware the entire time and she looks confused by the shaking. Sleepy and very clingy afterwards. I can only imagine that it takes a lot out of her. :(

She has a fairly good appetite and she's been drinking a normal amount of water. I expect she'll be back to her silly self by tomorrow or Sunday. She'll probably be doing zoomies before the weekend is over. :lol:

I just get so scared when there's any tiny little thing wrong with her. I know you all understand cuz you're the same way with your babies. Please think some good thoughts for Lily and send them her way.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We're sending good thoughts for Lily. Poor girl. I'm sure she's getting lots of TLC from you. You're such a caring mother to her and for that I'm sure she's very thankful. :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Best wishes for our special little "Lilly". Rachael, I'm curious, why the Lyme vac? My Vet does not give that one??? I bet she is just feeling the after effects of the Vaccinations, and will be her sweet self by tomorrow!! :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sjc said:
Best wishes for our special little "Lilly". Rachael, I'm curious, why the Lyme vac? My Vet does not give that one??? I bet she is just feeling the after effects of the Vaccinations, and will be her sweet self by tomorrow!! :)
My understanding is that is a high risk area (New England) so Lyme is customarily given every year. Where are you?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Awww poor baby - I hope she feels better soon.

Those shakes definately sounds like seizures, as like you say she is tired etc after and this is one of the main symptoms, does she loose control of her water or bowels during , have you mentioned this too the vet as there is medication she can take to help stop these episodes

good luck and keep us posted :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Aww, poor Lily. I can only imagine how frightening it must be when she gets the shakes like that. Did you discuss this with your vet? I'm sure you did - you're such a good chi mom.

Lily, you gotta get better soon! You're worrying your mommy, and all of us.
Keep us posted, Rach. Jasmine and I both send hugs to Lily, and sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico and I send lots of hugs and good thoughts to Lily. Hope she is feeling better very soon.

If the lyme vac is making her sick like this, maybe ask your vet about alternatives like a flea and tick collar. I know there are lots of tics up in the new england area, because I used to live in NY and had a run in with them on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I live in Okla. There are "ticks" all over the place! My Dad had a case of Lyme's Disease many years ago, from a tick bite, he finally got over it. It took about a year! I hope Lilly feels better tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ozzy&Lily'sMom said:
Awww poor baby - I hope she feels better soon.

Those shakes definately sounds like seizures, as like you say she is tired etc after and this is one of the main symptoms, does she loose control of her water or bowels during , have you mentioned this too the vet as there is medication she can take to help stop these episodes

good luck and keep us posted :wave:
She never loses control of her functions during these shaking episodes. Her vet is aware of them and I have kept a "diary" detailing each one. At this time, given that the episodes are 3-4 months apart, no medication has been suggested.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Oh my goodness love and hugs from Marcus and good thoughts and well wishes from me. Poor baby. I think I would definitely ask if there was any alternative to the lyme shot. Frontline, Revolution, something.

I am worried about those seizures, that would scare me witless. Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Awwwww....poor baby. Don't want to alarm anyone or anything, but the shaking episode that you described sounds a lot like a dog that I had that had epilepsy. He would have episodes only maybe three or four times a year and when they first started they were like shaking uncontrollably. But, if your vet is aware of them I'm sure he would have done a test to rule that out.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Easy to say, impossible to do, but - try not to worry yourself to death all weekend. She knows when you're worried. Just enjoy your weekend with her and she'll be her normal little computer-surfing, flirty self by Monday.

I'll say an extra prayer for her tonight and Frasier sends hugs and slurps.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MYCHIBABY said:
Awwwww....poor baby. Don't want to alarm anyone or anything, but the shaking episode that you described sounds a lot like a dog that I had that had epilepsy. He would have episodes only maybe three or four times a year and when they first started they were like shaking uncontrollably. But, if your vet is aware of them I'm sure he would have done a test to rule that out.
Lily had blood work done the night she had the first shaking episode and again about a week after the second one. All her levels were good. My poor girl... seizures, heart murmur, bad teeth. Wouldn't trade her for all the healthy chi's in the world. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tucker was a nervous wreck after his yearly exam and boosters. They had so much trouble drawing blood---it took three sticks to get a vein. and the vet gave Tucker's boosters in the rib cage area, so he cried every time we picked him up. He wasn't any better 4 days later, so the vet gave me some Valium to give to him. One dose set him right.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lily isn't feeling well. It's so hard on us mommies when they are sick. I hope she feels better soon for both of your sakes. :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:thumbleft: Rach, you're a trooper, hope Lily gets better soon, lots of hugs and kisses from Stinky & Smelly. :wink:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts