Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koko started limping on his right hind leg today. We went for a walk and notice it coming back home. My husband check his leg and when he touch his upper right leg Koko jumped. Would anyone know we might be the cause.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Definetly go to the Vet, something like that happened a couple of years ago to my old man (15 yrs ago) he didn't break anything but Vet said he might have strained something during his walk, was sure what he did, we were just walking around our neighborhood. To make the long story short we gave him something to ease his pain, gave him time to rest (no walks around the neighborhood or walking up our stairs) in a couple of days he was running around our bed again. Hope he's ok

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would definitely take him to the vet. Rook started having the same problem this last week, I am pretty sure his issue is floating kneecaps though since I can feel them popping in and out of joint. He doesn't cry when I massage or adjust them gently, though. If you pup is that sensitive it may be a whole other issue entirely, and hopefully something the vet can help clear up with a little rest!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely go to the Vet and don't wait around to get in either... better safe than be sorry and with a big vet bill >_<

I recently had to take my baby in to the Vet since she was yelping whenever I picked her up a certain way or touched her on the back a certain way.

I would definitely take him to the vet. Rook started having the same problem this last week, I am pretty sure his issue is floating kneecaps though since I can feel them popping in and out of joint. He doesn't cry when I massage or adjust them gently, though. If you pup is that sensitive it may be a whole other issue entirely, and hopefully something the vet can help clear up with a little rest!
You should go to the Vet to see if it is Luxating Patella and what grade he has, just to be safe. It is common in small dogs. Perse has it in both her hind legs with her right being worse than her left. However, I never heard popping or anything until she hit 3 years old, she just walked funny like a rabbit hehe. I've started doing Hydrotherapy to help strengthen and alleviate any pain to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should go to the Vet to see if it is Luxating Patella and what grade he has, just to be safe. It is common in small dogs. Perse has it in both her hind legs with her right being worse than her left. However, I never heard popping or anything until she hit 3 years old, she just walked funny like a rabbit hehe. I've started doing Hydrotherapy to help strengthen and alleviate any pain to make sure it doesn't get any worse.
Thanks for the info! I am gonna be taking him to the vet asap. I was waiting to see if it cleared up on it's own, and then we had to make it through the long weekend. I saw some videos on hydrotheraphy, massage, etc, but waiting to see what the vet says before I start anything. The poor guy is only 8mos old and it's gone from being a small limp to him barely being able to walk in the last two days. :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Koko is doing much better today. My husband is massaging his knee twice a day, it seems to be helping. He is in no pain or discomfort. We are making sure he isn't jumping on the bed or couch. We are just going to watch him closely and see what happens, if he gets worse, of course, we will take him to the Vet. He is going on our morning walks just fine. Eating good and playing. Thanks for your concerns and replies. Keep you posted. :flower:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
i'll bet this is due to subluxing patella or in laymans terms a knee that moves the knee cap in and out. Hopefully he'll tighten up the ligaments holding the knee cap. Very painful when it is 'out', and it goes back in, the pain is gone. Vet can confirm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts