Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we made it through Lion's first agility class yesterday! I did get a few strange looks from the other people in the class... After all, they all had dogs at least 5x Lion's size. He was VERY scared of the instructor, but he followed me over the jumps(really just poles on the ground :) ) and even went through the tunnel! He also allowed the instructor to pick him up and hold him. Even though he is really nervous, I am glad we are doing this class because it will help him overcome his fear of inanimate objects. Can't wait for our next class!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Glad hear that you had such a great time! Yay! It is a huge confidence builder for shy dogs. I had dogs in my class that I taught that were so fear aggressive that they had to wear basket muzzles for 2 years straight the whole time they were at the facility. If they weren't hiding in the corner they were straight up trying to eat me. It was 2.5 years before I could touch them but they are now so happy to play the game that they compete successfully at Master's level!

I would recommend building some equipment to practice with. Jumps are easy to build and Lion is so small that you could get a light, cheap kid's tunnel from Toy's R Us for him to practice tunneling with.

Enjoy your class!! Can't wait to hear more!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought of getting some equipment to practice on. I live in a small apartment so I can't bring in too much stuff! I will look into getting a tunnel for him to practice with, and maybe a little jump.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you need to build a regulation teeter, it can be done with a 2x12, some scrap lumber to make a bracket, and a dowel passed through holes in the bracket. Put some sand in the paint to make it non-skid, get cotter pins to keep the dowel in place, and fasten the dowels to the center of the 2x12 with pipe clamps. I wish I had pics but it predates the digital camera LOL! I made a lot of agility equipment for Dary back in the day and we had a blast in the backyard!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you need to build a regulation teeter, it can be done with a 2x12, some scrap lumber to make a bracket, and a dowel passed through holes in the bracket. Put some sand in the paint to make it non-skid, get cotter pins to keep the dowel in place, and fasten the dowels to the center of the 2x12 with pipe clamps. I wish I had pics but it predates the digital camera LOL! I made a lot of agility equipment for Dary back in the day and we had a blast in the backyard!
Aw I wish I lived in a house, not in an apartment so I would have a yard! It would be so much fun to have a whole course set up right outside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts