Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently got a chi that is 1 1/2 and still goes outside to go to the bathroom. I would like to start training her to go inside, in the litter box, any tips on this? is it possible this late in her age?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey! I might be duplicating the other response, but here is my experience. I tried to teach my puppy to go outside, but I was intrigued that you could teach a small dog to go in a litter box. Anyway, I tought her pretty much the same way you teach a dog to go on paper. If you see her looking for a spot, or if she tries to go somewhere, take her to the box and keep her there until she goes. It took a while for me to train my dog. I'm not the best teacher in the world and bless her heart she's not the brightest dog in the world. But believe me, if my dog can learn, ANY dog can learn!

steph

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think you have gotten some pretty good suggestions so far. I do not have any experience with training an older dog, but it can definitly be done. I am in the process of training my puppy chi and she's almost 4 months old. You should keep an eye on the pup all the time and watch for signs of sniffing as suggested in other replies. Also, after a nap, eating, or playing hard are usually bathroom times as well. I would always use the same words (your pick) I used GO POTTY everytime I placed her in the box (or walked her to the box) Then if you do get a successful potty, give her a treat or lots of praise. Princess is such a stinker she will sit and wait outside the box sometimes for me to look at her before entering to go to the bathroom. She knows she'll be rewarded...I hope this helps![/quote]

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just got my new puppy, a Yorkie/Westie mix and when I put her in the box, she lays down!! She is comical. Jasmine picked up on the litter box right away and always went immediatley after sleeping, etc. Daisy just looks up and me and waits to go on the carpet or the floor next to the box. It has only been one day, so no need to get anxious about it, but I hope it goes as well as with my Chi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts