Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've about had it with Ziva! She is peeing on the beds in the crate! She will just stand up and pee right on it without even ATTEMPTING to go on the potty pad not even 1 foot away. So I am thinking I need to NOT train her to go potty on potty pads which are an absorbant soft material like the beds. I really hope I don't have to throw out any beds if I can't get the odor out of them. So I was going to try litter or grass, does anyone use either on of those? I know I tried to train Zoey with litter when she was a puppy and she wouldn't have none of it, I don't think she liked out hard it was on her feed, considering using either ferret or cat newspaper litter as it's softer. Hopefully Zoey won't be too hard to re-train although I think if I add potty pads to the litter boxes at first then gradually work on up to the litter they should be okay.....wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The smell should come out of the beds (what a little cow)
Honey always goes out side now :) but I do still keep a
puppy pad in her pen at all times just incase. As for using
litter, I have cats so we have a kitty litter, my cousin's
(sugarbaby) chi. Keona has gone to my kitty litter on her
own and pee'ed in it a few times when they have been
visiting me. So it is possible to litter train :)
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
how about just taking her outside? Is that not an option for you?
Leila will potty on her pads but in the last week she has peed in inappropriate places, carpet a few times and totally soaked her bed, so i know that was no accident. :[ She really Prefers to go out to do her business. Just a thought!!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I live the winters get pretty bad with several feet of snow outside pretty much all the time, so I would rather not take them outside if I can avoid it, it's hard to find boots etc to protect their feet.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I don't know, i just read some reviews saying they couldn't get their dog to "go" on it. Ugh and the ones that look like grass, well reviewers say the "grass" holds the stinky urine smell. YUK! Try doggy litter i guess.
Here's something interesting: How To Litter Box Train Your Dog

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I tried to litter train Tango. It was a complete loss. I spent a small fortune on the tray and the special litter and he HATED it, just stood there looking pitiful for EVER. I tried different kinds of litters but nothing worked for him. On the other hand, he took to the pee pads right away, so I figured why not?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Keona will use a litter tray :) , she just did it on her own accord at my cousins house in her kitty tray she had for her cat , i did start to use it at home but keona likes to dig ,so that scrapped the idea lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Both of my girls are litter trained and it's working well for us. We started litter training Jadzia at about 14 weeks and Kira right away at 8 weeks.

We use the recycled news paper pellets. I put it about a half of an inch thick (so they don't slip and slide) in a large under the bed storage container with an opening cut in the side so they don't have to jump over the side to get in or out. Jadzia really hated to jump in or out.
I use the large container because dogs seem to like to walk around before and during pooping so I thought they would feel more inclined to use the box if their instinct to move around wasn't hindered to much.
I also would take any poos I found outside the box and put it in the litter and left it there until the next time they needed to poo so they'd have their own smell already there. I did the same for their pees, I'd soak it up with napkins or paper towels or even some if the litter and then put it in the box.
Once they were using the box on a regular basis I stopped doing that.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of litter training because we have lots of snow and ice here in the winter and I don't like going out into the cold and they're little feet just freeze.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention with Jadzia we had started pad training so to transition her over we first put the pee pad in the box and gradually added litter. Eventually we had a folded pad on top of the litter and finally took it away all together.

We kept a soiled pee pad in the box while transitioning, changing it out once or twice a day to keep any smells down during the change.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We tried the litter. No dice.

The girls readily use the "Potty Patch." The grass gets stinky after about a month or so. We just bought indoor/outdoor carpet at Wal-Mart and cut a new square when it gets stinky :D Way cheaper than replacing the grass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts