Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! :)

We have two wonderful Maine **** cats who share a litter pan that stands in the bathroom.
Since two weeks we also have a young Chihuahua (8 months), who is trained to use a litter pan whenever he can´t go outside (these little dogs need to go to the bathroom a lot).
So I bought him his seperate, own, little litterpan, filled it with the litter he was used to and set it in the opposite corner of the bathroom.
It all went fine the first days - the cats kept using theirs, the dog his.
BUT NOW - the cats have gotten a hang of ALSO using the small dog´s litter pan instead of their own. Therefore the dog refuses to use it. He pees and poops on the floor right next to it when he needs to go. I guess he doesn´t want to share his litterpan.
I have tried shushing away the cats from the dog´s litterpan when I can catch them using it, but it won´t stop.
How can I solve this problem? Do you have any suggestions for me? :confused::grommit:
I was thinking of putting down puppy pads for the dog instead of the litterpan, since the cats would certainly prefer their litterpan then, but he won´t use it, since he´s not used to it.
Maybe you know a special trick?
Another problem that goes hand in hand with my litterpan blues: Our chihuahua tries to eat the cat poop from the litterpan. Which I don´t think is healthy for him - plus, it´s disgusting.
How can I keep him from doing this?
I can´t hide the cat´s litterpan (yes, the cats use both) from him.
I am totally running out of ideas here.... :(
There has to be a solution for both of my problems!
Help and advice would be sooooooo much appreciated!
Thanks!

Carina and the Crew :grommit:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not sure what to suggest about the cats using the dogs litter box. I will say that one of the things that I did was set up a part of my house that the dog can't get to. I have a baby gate blocking off the cat room and that is where their food and litter box is. If this is not possible, I would suggest buying a litter locker or something similar to keep in the bathroom with the litter boxes and just scoop into that any time there is poop in the box.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Just one way of doing things, but this is what I would do if I were in your situation:

1. Get rid of the dog's litter box. Pee pads will totally solve the problem of having your cats use the dog's box. Since he's already trained to go indoors, it shouldn't be too hard to teach him to use the pads. You might have to start at (almost) square one with training, but I bet he'd catch on quickly. We always keep an emergency pee pad out for Odie, and it's right beside the cat's litter box. Even if she's peed on it, they leave it totally alone, other than trying to "bury" it once in awhile.

2. Get a litter box that your dog can't get into. Maybe something with a lid? Possibly even with a swing door if you think your cats will get the hang of it. If the door is high enough, it should eliminate your dog getting into trouble, unless he REALLY wants in there.

I hope you find a solution! We recently purchased an automatic self-cleaning litter box, which could be another option. I'm not a fan of how out in the open they are, but I'm planning on building a piece of cat furniture for it to solve that problem.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a baby gate up at the door where my cat's litter box is. The cat can jump the gate - no problem. And, the Chis stay out. Besides, in my house, the cat needs a break now and then from the dogs.

My Chis don't use the litter box for pottying, but they sure would clean it out for me if given the chance!:sad5:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a baby gate up at the door where my cat's litter box is. The cat can jump the gate - no problem. And, the Chis stay out. Besides, in my house, the cat needs a break now and then from the dogs.

My Chis don't use the litter box for pottying, but they sure would clean it out for me if given the chance!:sad5:
This sounds exactly like my situation. Bandit is a baby and the cats are not, so they definitely need a break from him.

I had a thought on transitioning to a pee pad. Put the pee pad in the litter box the dog uses, and if needed put a little bit of litter on top of it until he gets used to just using the pee pad. I was going to train Bandit to use a litter box, but ran into the same problem. He would not use the same box as the cats, and one of the cats would use the very small box I had for the puppy. I was just training so there was no transition needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice, everyone!
I put the pee pad in his litter pan today, let´s see if he´ll use it if he needs to.
The cats won´t use that as a litter box, but oddly enough, they think it´s a comfy new bed for them :))
With the apartment we have now, I don´t see how I can really seperate the two boxes by rooms or gates...let´s hope he´ll get used to the pad.
Have a great day everyone!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I put the pee pad in his litter pan today, let´s see if he´ll use it if he needs to.
The cats won´t use that as a litter box, but oddly enough, they think it´s a comfy new bed for them :))
With the apartment we have now, I don´t see how I can really seperate the two boxes by rooms or gates...let´s hope he´ll get used to the pad.
It may take some time, but you will get there. And the cats will stop using it as a bed once the dog starts using is as a pee pad. Mine did the same thing.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Try putting a pee pad in the dogs litter box instead of litter. Once he uses it with the pee pad in it for a while, take the box away and just have the pad. He will have to get the idea that its ok to use the pad so putting it the litter box will help with that since he is use to pottying in it. Thats how my sister did it. She has a cat that did the same thing. After about a week or so she was able to stop the confusion with who goes where.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts