Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you do with your chihauhua?

Is he/she litter trained or do you take he/she outdoors?

Right now I got piddle pads set up in the bathroom due to the fact that my cats are acting like they may use them.

What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Well, Sadie is trained to go outside on the patio in her box of dirt. It's good because it's cheap and it's easy. I only have to change her dirt every few weeks (although sometimes i get lazy and go for a month or two). The only problem is when it rains she will not go outside so she ends up going on the carpet or rug if I don't take her out to the garage enough.

Ritz is trained to go on the pad. It's convenient because I know when he poops and pees but it's also more expensive because you have to buy the pads.

Honestly, I wish Sadie would go on the pads. THat way it wouldn't be such a pain for her to go to the bathroom when it rains.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I use piddle pads. The con to these are that they can be smelly unless you clean them often and quickly. The pro is if you are at work you don't need to worry about hurrying home to let the dog out. Also when the weather is bad or it is the middle of the night you don't have to wake up to let them out. :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well.. hmm to be honest with you, i have only ever been formilar with the potty OUTSIDE because I have 2 larger breed dogs, and since i've come here, most people use the pads. no offence to anyone who does, but i think they'd be awful stinky? I am lazy sometimes, so i wouldnt get it done all the time (changing the pee pads) -- so u might want to think about that. Pee pads are also more in plain veiw, and i like how the litter box covers it a bit =) Uhhm, right now im training my little one (12 weeks) to go potty in the litter box, (shes a chi) and she is getting the hang of it, im now rewarding her with treats instead of squeeky sounds :lol: before she couldnt really chew them. Anyways, I like the litter box, you do have to make sure u scoop at least .. well depends how much ur doggie goes lol... but right now i dont do it anymore then twice a week.. im not sure! But thats up to u hehe. The only reason shes going INSIDE, is because the weather is really cold here in canada for a little 12 week old chihuhahua. but once it gets warmer out, i will hopefully train her to go outside 24/7 as going inside is a little weird to me, cause im not used to it. Smelly bussiness :lol:

Oh, btw, i hope i dont sound cruel or anything, but if it is raining, i'd take her out there and get her to go anyways. She may not WANT to but.. thats tough. Plus, she wasnt really arguing with me that day it was snowing and what not so i dont think she'll mind.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I am doing outside and pads.
When it rains and I take them out, they just stand there looking at me like "why are you torturing us?" They will not move from the spot I put them down unless I drag them.
So I set up an x-pen in the kitchen and lined it with pads. That way they can go in there when it's raining. The x-pen keeps them from missing the pad.
I don't use a litter box because we have 4 cats and I know the cats would use it, then Sandy and Koke would eat the cat poop. The cats litter boxes are blocked off so Sandy and Koke can't get to them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Right now I'm training callie to use pads, in a litter box (She kept putting her paws on the pad and peeing on the floor next to it so I wanted some boundries) but I am kind of hoping that when we go to my parents for christmas and she sees mom's lab and japanese chin going outside she will get the idea. Regardless I am going to try and switch her over to going outside in the spring.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Kurrazie said:
no offence to anyone who does, but i think they'd be awful stinky? I am lazy sometimes, so i wouldnt get it done all the time (changing the pee pads) -- so u might want to think about that. Pee pads are also more in plain veiw, and i like how the litter box covers it a bit =)
No, they don't actually stink...and only change mine once a day (but I throw out the poop once she goes, of course).

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
yeah I agree nicole I use pads and as long qas you change them dily they never smell - its no hardship to bend down and pick a dirty pad yup and replce with a clean one :wave:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm training Sally Mae to use pee pee pads and outside. I change her pad once per day and like czarina does, I pick up her poop and flush it as soon as she goes. The pads don't smell. Believe me if they did my husband WOULD NOT TOLERATE THEM! He has never complained about the pee pee pads at all.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
We are using the Second Nature Dog Litter and have been for a year and a half... however as of late P-Nut does not want to use her box... she goes near the box or on the throw carpets around the house... we are trying to get her to stop this and use her boxes again.... we do not know what happened but she had been doing so well w/ the litter boxes...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all!

I think when he's big enough or the vet says it's safe, still needs some shoots first, then I'll start training him to go outside and use the pad for rain.

Our cats as it is hiss like crazy if he sticks his head in the litter box but I wanted to know what you all did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a litter box with newspaper in the bathroom that Ace goes in. I actually prefer that he would go outside, though. But I live in an apartment so it's easier to use the litter box. Once I graduate college in May & move home I am going to re-train him to go outside. It's just easier.

To those whose dogs are trained to go on pads...do they ALWAYS go on the pads? Ace just loves to pee on a pile of blankets or poo behind the couch. It's so annoying. He is 8 months old! He sleeps in my bed at night, and he should be able to hold it all night..but he doesn't! So I've been bringing the litter box into my bedroom and leaving it by the door at night. Only he won't go in it..he'll just pee on the floor. I don't know why he will ONLY use the box if it's in the bathroom. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I prefer that they go outside, even a puppy. When we all trek outside, the puppies get to go, too. Even if they just run around and play. But I also use litter boxes. That way if I cannot get home, it is just a scoop process not having to mop the floor. Even the puppies are trained to the litter box. A fresh box of litter is the best thing to play and dig in....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts