Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i remember someone posting that they used scoopable litter in their litter box. What brand do you use? is it cat litter? I've been using the dog litter pellets and i'd like to use a scoopable kind (not to mention the dog litter is expensive) but i wasn't sure if dogs would use cat litter. is there a certain dog kind?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
i wish i could answer that for you i am wondering the same thing.I am using pooch pads but would like to use a litter box as well i tried the doggy litter it was to hard to clean and expensive too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Litter Brand

We have a cat so I didn't want Rosie (chi) and Scooch (cat) getting confused as to which litter to use, so for Scooch I use clumpable cat litter and for Rosie, I use the pine pellets.

I have tried the recycled newspaper pellets but found they don't smell nice and can tend to be very mushy when trying to clean it up.

Rosie also seemed to like the pine pellets better too (she tried to eat the newspaper pellets). It almost looks like gravel so since she's trained to go outside when we're at home, it's probably the similarity that she likes

·
Registered
159 Posts
It might have been me that posted something about scoopable litter. It is cat litter but Pixie has no problem going in it. It is called Swheat Scoop and I buy it at Petsmart. It is all natural, doesn't smell at all, and scoops right up and flushes down the toilet. It is great. A 14 lb. bag runs around $7-8 and it lasts awhile. Pixie actually uses her nose to push some litter over her poop and cover up it up. It is hilarious. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Purina makes a dog litter. It's called "Second Nature" and runs about $7.50 to $13.50, depending on how many pounds you buy. I personally haven't tried it...Chico goes potty outside. I don't think dogs can use cat litter either...I'm not positive, but I think there's something in it that can make them sick.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
princess_ella said:
actually i had read a breeder that trained her chis with kitty litter just can't remember what kind she used.
really? thats cool then, kitty litter is a lot cheaper than the dog litter. i wasn't positive, i had thought i'd heard that something in it was bad for them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
princess_ella said:
Pixie's Mom what kind of kitty litter do you use?and how did you train her to potty in the litter box and not to eat it?
Hi. The litter I use is kitty litter called Swheat Scoop and I buy it at Petsmart. It is all natural wheat litter. It eliminates odor, has less dust and is certified flushable. It is a white bag with orange and yellow writing on it.

I trained Pixie to use a box from the day I got her a 6 weeks old. At first I used potty pads in a box but after a few weeks switched to litter. The first time I put her in the litter she tried to eat it a little bit (the bag says it's is harmless if they do) but that was the only time. I kinda just let her do her thing in there the first time until she got used to it. She adjusted to it really fast. She never acted weird about getting in it at all for some reason. Sometimes I will put her in there and she will just lay down.. I guess to tell me she doesn't have to go. Lately she covers her poop and pee by sweeping litter over it. I often will know if she just used her box because her nose is covered in litter. It is too funny. As for me it really works great...it looks much neater in my house than the pee pads did because i flush it away as soon as she goes. The only drawback is that I have to vacuum that area pretty often since a bit of litter comes with her when she jumps out...but at least it helps me keep the house clean!

Hopefully it will be as easy for you to train your pup in. I guess I just got lucky and it's all she has ever really known because she has been using the box since I got her. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts