Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should first off mention that we have quite a few kitties in our house so there are litterboxes everywhere for them. Ever since we have had Zoey I swear she acts more and more like a cat everyday-I think she must think she is one-lol! The last few days have been relatively cold and she has been refusing to go outside. I noticed her the other day going to where the litterboxes are and staring at them. I am a little neurotic about this because I did not want the litterboxes to become her own candy stash-yuck!! This being said she is very curious about them and I am not sure if she is trying to get away with something or does she really want to use that as her bathroom?

Has anyone else tried to litterbox train their chi-I have heard several of you mention that you have potty trained them to go on an astro turf type area but never a litterbox I don't think.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I heard the it is dangerous for Kitty litter in the box...I heard it clumps and if the chi eats it the Chi will get sick or die.... I was told to use the non-clumping litter.......... maybe someone can tell us if this is a myth or not....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi there,

I have litter trained my chi, it works great, neither of us have to go out in the cold when she has to potty.
Having said that, I don't use the clumping cat litter or the regular clay litter because my little girl will eat it and I can't imagine it wouldn't swell up in her tummy. May be it wouldn't cause any problems but I don't want to take the chance.

I use 'Yesterday's News' litter, it's the one that is made out of recycled news paper.
Jadzia uses it just fine and even if she eats a piece or two it's just paper. I'm always with her when she potties so I'm careful to watch that she doesn't eat any.

May be your little girl is jealous and doesn't want to go out in the cold LOL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking of just laying down newspaper in a moderately cut down plastic storage bin.

I'm perfectly willing to change/clean the thing as often as needed. I do this with the cats to try to keep Diego from using their box as a snack tray.

I just want high walls because the little guy has learned to lift his leg and is very attached to the practice.

He does ask to go out and no matter how long I keep him outside with me (sometimes us because he'll go out with my Australian Shepherd, Gabriel) he saves a little for inside jobs. Sometimes he saves a lot.

I think paper training him in a box will make his life easier and mine. Destress. As opposed to mopping up...everywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts