Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :wave:
Apologies if something similar to this has been posted before.
I am a newbie to the site and I'm hoping to become a chi mommy later on in the year so I'm doing my homework.
I am wanting to litter box train as me and my boyfriend both work but what is the best way of training her to use it?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

Kay :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dog Baxter is litterbox trained and it was quite easy. I just covered the floor with newspaper when I got him and let him go wees etc on the paper. I then made the papered area smaller and smaller.
When the paper area was really small and he was only going on the paper I put the paper into a litterbox, and he started going in there.
He had the occasional accident, but picked it up vey quickly.
He will also go to the toilet when we are on walks, but unfortunately doesn't know how to ask to go outside when he needs to go (as I live in an apartment and he can't get downstairs in time) so when i am at friends places I just make sure I take him outside every hour or so.

·
Registered
434 Posts
they sell litter box for dog, which is what we use for Tofu. At first we just use the wee wee pad. after he was used to that we place the pad inside the litter box. at first we didn't plan to use the litter box, but ocasionally he would peed half way outside the pad and the floor. he think as long as one of his foot is in the pad he's safe. the litter box we use is to let him know that he has to step in all the way to do his business :) but don't worry, they catch on quick, just be patient and give alot of praise and treat everytime your baby does it right, good luck.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
tofu said:
they sell litter box for dog, which is what we use for Tofu. At first we just use the wee wee pad. after he was used to that we place the pad inside the litter box. at first we didn't plan to use the litter box, but ocasionally he would peed half way outside the pad and the floor. he think as long as one of his foot is in the pad he's safe. the litter box we use is to let him know that he has to step in all the way to do his business :) but don't worry, they catch on quick, just be patient and give alot of praise and treat everytime your baby does it right, good luck.
Hmmmm.....I'm wondering if I couldn't retrain my Pedro this way. He's pretty well trained to go both outside and on the pee pads; but he does that also where he pees on the edge of the pad and it goes on the floor too. Would a cat litter box be ok, or would it be too small?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pookypeds said:
Hmmmm.....I'm wondering if I couldn't retrain my Pedro this way. He's pretty well trained to go both outside and on the pee pads; but he does that also where he pees on the edge of the pad and it goes on the floor too. Would a cat litter box be ok, or would it be too small?
we thought of the cat litter box too, but it seem to be a little high for Tofu to step into. But i guess it depend on your baby. We got the cat litter box, and when he had to go he have to literally jump in. I got him the biggest size litter box. the smaller size doesn't seem to be enough room.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My lil' guy never fails to go on the pad, but like others have said he'll sometimes get partway off the pad right when he gets ready to go. I believe it's true, he figures if he has one lil' paw on there he's safe. :) Anyway, after you've got your pup trained to go on the pad in the litter box can you switch to litter? Is there even a litter for dogs?? Or could you use shredded paper?? Or did most of you just stick with the pad in the litter box?? What has this accomplished? Is it only so they don't go half on the wee wee pad??
I'm very curious about this now, and I'm sorry if some of these sound dumb, but I've never even considered this with any of my dogs before. Thanks for being patient with me. :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Of course nothing is perfect, but he seem to not miss as much now. i can brag that it almost perfect ;) . I place the pad inside the box, i didn't use the litter that are made for dog. I think the pad is easier to clean. I just fold it up and chuck it out. for us since i continue to use the pad, it's very easy to switch him from pad to pad in the litter box.

·
Registered
865 Posts
When Trixie was a puppy, we went to the expense of buying the litterbox and special doggie litter for it. We could not get her to use it. Instead she found it more fun to drag the litter out and chew on them. I spent more time taking the liter away from her. We even tried the pee pee pad in the litterbx. She would grab ahold of the pad and drag it out of the litter box. We finally gave up. She is 3 now and goes outside, unless it is cold andrainy, then I put a pad or newspaper down on the front porch and she uses that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
DB-N-Whiskey said:
My lil' guy never fails to go on the pad, but like others have said he'll sometimes get partway off the pad right when he gets ready to go. I believe it's true, he figures if he has one lil' paw on there he's safe. :) Anyway, after you've got your pup trained to go on the pad in the litter box can you switch to litter? Is there even a litter for dogs?? Or could you use shredded paper?? Or did most of you just stick with the pad in the litter box?? What has this accomplished? Is it only so they don't go half on the wee wee pad??
I'm very curious about this now, and I'm sorry if some of these sound dumb, but I've never even considered this with any of my dogs before. Thanks for being patient with me. :D
I don't use litter for Baxter, because he didn't like to stand on it, I just use small pieces of cut up newspaper.

Also, I didn't get a cat litter box as they were too small. I bought a plastic tray with 3-4 inch sides, and got my Dad to cut the front side out with a special saw so Baxter could just walk into it.

At first he would try going half in the litter box, but I just watched him and would put him in properly and he soon got the hint

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I personally wouldn't use actually doggie litter to put in the litter box. What I did was, I started off with potty pads, and I would take her to the pad every hour or so and tell her to go potty. If she did, she would get lots of praise and a treat. You have to be consistent with this. Eventually, I put the pad in the litter box, and she knew to go on the pad, so she would hop in the litter box and go in there. I made the transition because with pads, sometimes, my baby would go on the edge and it would dribble off onto the carpet. My baby caught on in no time, so if you're consistent, I'm sure your baby will catch on right away as well. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot you guys. I've been reading Chihuahuas for Dummies which by the way for any more newbies out there. its fantastic - it's my bible! In there under Litter box training it says newspaper inside the tray is fine cos they don't like the feel of doggie litter under their lickle paws! Thanks for all the help and advice I think I'm going through the whole becoming a new mommy - fretting thing! I'm sure there will be more questions like this that pop up in my mind at 3 in the morning, so you'll all have to bear with me ;)
I just want to be prepared and be a good chi mommy . xx

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank for all your help and advice guys. I think I'm going through the whole becoming a new chi mommy-fretting thing. I'm sure there will be loads more questions like this, that pop up in my mind at 3 in the morning, so you'll have to bear with me ;) I just want to be a good chi mommy! I'm doing my homework anyway, and for any other newbies out there I'm reading Chihuahuas for Dummies at the moment it's fantastic - it's my bible x

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
So have you started the whole litter box training process? How is it going so far? Keep the questions coming! That's what we're here for...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
yeah stay away from litters, they dont like the feeling of the wood/paper pellets (doggy itter and yesterdays news) its also a fun snack, the clay and clumping and crystal litters get stuck to the hair, it also aparently makes a tasty snack, the only one that has the right consistency is the corncob cat litter and even this still sticks to the feet and is a tastey snack.
puppypads inside the litterbox is perfect.
you can use a cat litter box, if you dont mind doing a little modfying, get the largest size, and on one side cut an opening for in and outs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kimmiek915 - I've not started litterbox training yet as I'm still struggling to find a breeder but I'm just gathering some info together before I become a mommy.
Thanks for the advice, it's like having a human baby all the preparation and what not. It'll be worth it tho, can't wait x

·
Registered
450 Posts
We use a rubbermaid container that is kind've long but not tall. We line the bottom with a carpet remnant (to prevent the potty pad from sliding around) and put a potty pad on top. Corky and Lizzy don't like to poo where they pee so we put one in front of the box too. They poo in the box and pee on the pad outside the box. It works great for us because we both work full time too and can't get them on an outside schedule easily. Plus we live in OR and it rains so much and they HATE the rain! It works great for us and them!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Becoming a chi mommy is the best thing ever,its so much fun raising a baby chi although it comes sometimes with trials and trubulations. lol .xxxx Im very happy with minnie shes my little princess.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dont see the problem of trying the best you can to get him/her to outside? Normally even small dogs hold it just as good as a bigger dog. They are normally harder to get houstrained but if you take your time and do it properly it wont be a problem. (If you let the dog go inside, they will not bother to go outside to pee at all. Little pee walks outside also helps them get to know the world through the smelling and marking. (They love it)

As mentioned before, they do manage to hold their pee for a normal day of work. (How long hours do you do?)
Our Teddy and Nubia normally holds it. While Chilli does not. I soooo regret not training her properly as a pup, but now we are training them ALL to just go outside. It is soooo nice!

So, I have to say that for the dogs sake AND your own, you should train him/her to go outside.

This is only MY opinion, and tip... But offcourse you do what suits you the best.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
the pink fairy said:
Kimmiek915 - I've not started litterbox training yet as I'm still struggling to find a breeder but I'm just gathering some info together before I become a mommy.
Thanks for the advice, it's like having a human baby all the preparation and what not. It'll be worth it tho, can't wait x
So glad to hear that you're being so diligent with your research. I wish all dog owners were like you. You're setting a really good example for others. Especially when you get a dog like a chi, you need to do as much research as possible. For me, I use a cat litter box with the puppy pad in it, and I didn't even have to modify the box at all because my baby learned to hop in it. It's really cute. They're about 4 inches high, so at first, you'll probably have to physically lift and put your puppy in there so he or she will know to do that. Eventually as they get older and bigger, they'll be able to hop in themselves. At least this was the case with my babies. Good luck! Also, let me know if you want help finding a good breeder. I've always gotten my puppies off of puppyfind.com, but I do have a couple of people that I could refer you to. They're both from Oklahoma though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts