Chihuahua People Forum banner

Litterboxes

826 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  chimama 
#1 ·
It has been my intention ever since getting Flea at the end of August to train her for a litterbox. Just curious as to how many of you have litterbox dogs, as opposed to puppy pads. It gets teeth-shatteringly cold up here in Montreal and there is no way Flea can go outside, so it's the best option.

You would not BELIEVE how hard it is to find dog boxes here in Canada...I had to order the Purina Second Nature Box from PetSmart in the states and finally got it this week. I put Flea's puppy pad inside of the box and she was using it just fine. Then, today she decided she didn't want to use the box and peed and pooed right beside it. So, I narrowed down the space around her litterbox (so she couldn't 'go' beside it) - and finally she is back in the box. So, we shall see. It will take a couple of weeks, I think...before she gets used to the litter material as well.

#2 ·
All 6 of my adult chis are litter box trained...and I am surprised that that 9 week old puppies are using a litter box, too. I had a box in their area for the mom and now that she is out of the picture, they are using it, and quite well, I might add. I am still keeping the pee pad down for them, but that is about to change, because they have gotten into the habit of pulling it out of the holder and shredding it...so we are going to put a stop to that tomorrow. I tried once before to take it away and they still pottied in the area...so tomorrow I will clean the floor with white vinegar and the only place that will have the potty smell will be their box.
But it sure is nice to have the litter box. I could not make it home at lunch today and I know that I will not have a mess all over to clean up. I do scoop out the box daily.
I use recyclable kitty litter in a pellet form. It looks just like the dog stuff and it is cheaper. I also use a crystal in the bottom, I have found that a layer of the crystals help to keep the urine odor down. And since the crystals are more expensive, I don't want to use too many of them.

#3 ·
Hi There, :wave:
I have trained my chi to use the litter box. I got a large dog litter box and use cat litter. I use cat litter because it absorbers everything well and eliminates odor. I tried using the natural litter for dogs but she eats it. She also loves the litter because she can dig in it. I find her going to dig in it for fun. For three months (thats how long it took to train her) I took her to the litter at least 6 times a day. Anytime I knew she would need to go potty, I would walk her over there. At first she was very reluctant and was very upset that I wouldn't let her go on the carpet but eventually it got better. I would always close the door and stay in the bathroom with her until she went. Sometimes I was in there for over 45 minutes with her. I wanted to teach her that the door will remain closed until she uses the litter box. It has been very frustrating and time consuming for me but it all paid off. She now goes on her own every time. I think smaller dogs take much longer to litter train than big dogs so be prepared to be frustrated for a while but your chi will get the hang of it. Good luck! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.