Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while back I posted about how much I hated my job.

Well after a few months of no luck, I finally got a call back about an interview on Tuesday. It's a group interview though - i've never done one and i'm on the verge of throwing up just thinking about it. I'm not very confident in such an unfamiliar situation, and I'm going to have to suck it up and try to shine I guess. Oh and it doesn't much help that the job is a bit out of my, experience? Lets hope i'm applying next to some equally inexperienced and unstable applicants.

Fingers crossed until then I suppose. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Pam :]

It's for an ER admitting clerk at a local hospital. The lady mentioned that since I had been at Walgreens and stable so long there's a good chance i'll get a call back. I wish she hadn't because now I have my hopes up but i'll do my best to hold it together!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hope you get it! I'll be interested to hear how the group interview goes. Never heard of that. I bet you will be a stand out. :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I had a group interview once it's awkward bc you have to stand out amongst the others they basically go around the circle and have everyone answer the same ?'s and ask some random ?'s where u have to speak quick before the others so you stand out I didn't like it

But good luck I always prepare myself by googling common interview questions then think of what I'll say ahead of time works out good for me otherwise my mind goes blank and I end up bombing lol

Oh ya another tip research the company thoroughly you look and feel so much better if they ask you if you know about the company

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I work for a big corporation and group interviews have become the thing.

It is likely they have divided questions up by person and likely that the questions are to get at particular qualities for which they are searching. Sometimes just a couple of people are doing the asking and a couple are note taking or are doing follow up questions.

Be prepared with good examples. Most of our questions are things like "Tell us about a time when you..." or "How do you mange or handle situations when or like..."

Think of the job and things they might ask. Some VERY universal ones are things like:

1. Tell us a time when you had to work with someone who was difficult or was negative.

2. Tell us a time you had to make a decision quickly and perhaps without all the information you needed.

The other questions will be geared to what they are looking for as capabilities for the role. Try to make a list of those yourself and you'll be better prepared than most candidates. If it is ER, they will be looking for capabilities such as:

Composure
Approachability
Sense of urgency
Ability to make decisions independently

They may ask stupid questions such as:

1. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? (the answer is successful and making an impact for their company)
2. If you were a (insert fruit, vegetable, animal) what would you be? (you can answer what you want. This is a ridiculous question and they just want to hear you talk and see how you process, not answer any one way)

Do not forget for a minute that you are interviewing them as well. You are in the driver's seat. Do not look at this as something being "done" to you, look at it as you judging if you'd want the job or to work for or with them. Go in thinking that today these people are going to meet someone who they'd be fortunate to have. It will change completely how you project yourself to them.

Oh, and take in some written questions for them. Even if there is not time to get to them, make it known that you have them if their process allows. This shows that you are proactive (again, not just sitting hoping they like you and will give you a job), prepared and professional.

Feel free to PM me if I can help more!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
OH! I never thought of group interview as multiple candidates. We happen to not do it that way. A few of us interview a single candidate and then dismiss them and move to another.

I may have misinformed you on by misinterpreting group interview.

Please still be as prepared as I described. If there are other candidates, you will shine above the others in preparedness!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha thank you very much for the tips.

I went out today and bought a spiffy outfit so I can look as professional as possible. I haven't interviewed for a job in probably close to three years and even then I never had to do it with more than one person competing.

I really appreciate the tips, and yes unfortunately I have been scrolling through possible questions in my head since she called. I remember for my first job I got that BS question, if you had to be a rake, shovel or a broom what would you be. OH MY GOSH - what a stupid question. I guess I answered alright because she had hired me before I realized what had happened :] I was rather surprised at how fluid I answered, (Rake because it's multipurpose :p)

I'm not getting my hopes up too high because this is a tough market right now and i'll be competing against who knows how many people for something i'm a bit under qualified for - but that's not to say i'm going to slack off, i'm going to try my best ladies!

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I remember that thread you made Amanda, I think I commented in it.
Just want to say Good Luck to you!! :ngreet2: :dance:

·
Registered
774 Posts
just wanted to say good luck on the interview. definately know as much as you can about the company and job. rehearse your replies if you feel nervous.let us know how it went.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did my first "initial" interview this morning. They are filling 6 positions and there are 40-45 applicants so the odds are...bleh. Better than average I guess.

I'm really glad I had the interviewer I did, she was very - hip? We'll just say I don't think i'm going to be judged by age, even though I am almost her daughters age.

I did make her laugh though, which I hope was a good thing. She asked what book I read last which I can't stop my mouth before my brain - My Booky Wook is the book i'm reading now haha. How professional did that sound!

She also asked a weird question i've never been asked before and of course, my mouth and brain don't communicate. "What were you hoping i'd ask?" And my first thought was the (insert stupid object here) which would you be. So I told her that had she asked if i'd rather be a rake, broom or a shovel i'd be a rake because it's multi-purpose and good for multiple jobs.

I really need to teach my brain and mouth to communicate before this nonsense comes out.

Thank you for telling me to research the company, she asked what I thought the companys goal was and I could sort of piece it together, but I hope my competition wasn't that clever!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts