Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week my husband and I have been seeing a small black dog, kind of looks like a Pomeranian, running around where we live. This morning it was sitting on our stoop, and the other day it was watching me practice with Bryco. We think it must belong to people who live up the hill but I got a better look at it today and it sniffed at me and it looked a little rough...

It can't weigh more than maybe 7 lbs, but it was very fluffy but the coat was in not the greatest condition, so who knows. I put out some food for it today but who knows if it will eat it or the stray cats will...either way tonight we are going to try to coax it into our garage and take it down to get scanned for a chip, it's not wearing any tags. It seems scared and shy, it definitely didn't like Miles but today it sniffed me.

It is sooo cute. I hope it IS the people up the road's dog, but I can't imagine any responsible dog owner letting such a small dog just run around?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor little sweetie. :( It sounds like he may be lost, either that or his owners are horribly negligent. :( I really hope you can sort what's going on. Keep us posted, Kristi.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hope it's lost and the owners are frantically searching for it. That would be so much better than irresponsible people who let their dogs out to run and don't care what happens to them. Poor little guy.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have so many tourists come through town dogs get dumped all the time, I hope that's not the case...we live near a few hotels that allow dogs...I wanted to stay home from work and figure out what was going on, but we've seen it all week, I think it will be there tonight...I checked lost ads already and am going to put calls in to the shelters in the area once we coax the little fella (gal?) in to see if anyone's looking for it.

I just can't imagine any responsible dog owner letting a dog that small run around where there are coyotes and not even putting a tag on it?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to say...I'm not good at eyeballing age, but it was anywhere from 2-6 years old...

If we get it...the first step will be to go up the hill and see if its theirs, if it's not, vet appt, deworm, and it will have to stay in our heated garage while we search for a home and get it stable,...oh and a big visit to a groomer. The poor little thing was filthy. Gahhh hubby already said I can keep it if it doesn't have a home...but I don't know if I want another dog right now?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Kristi - you have the sweetest hubby in the world! But don't get in over your head. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the approach will probably be if we do catch it, and it doesn't have a home, get it healthy and find it a home, but who knows. Omg Tracy, it has the cutest face I've ever seen, and it is SO small, I don't know how it could survive on its own even for a week? Its bad timing b'c we will buy a house in 2.5 months and then it would be great timing...buuut not good timing right now. At all. I just want to make sure it's okay, really.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think the approach will probably be if we do catch it, and it doesn't have a home, get it healthy and find it a home, but who knows. Omg Tracy, it has the cutest face I've ever seen, and it is SO small, I don't know how it could survive on its own even for a week? Its bad timing b'c we will buy a house in 2.5 months and then it would be great timing...buuut not good timing right now. At all. I just want to make sure it's okay, really.
You have such a good heart Kristi! I would hope that if, God forbid, Brody ever got lost that he would find his way to a kind person like you before we got him back!!

Well, 2.5 months ISN'T very long in the future! ;)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw you and your hubby are the best, Kristi. :) Here's hoping it all works out for the best. I adore Poms. I spent 18 years of my life with one, they are wonderful little dogs. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, poor thing! You guys are so good...I hope you have good luck catching them & finding the owner. I really hope the owners aren't letting a little Pom run about but I've seen people do some REALLY stupid things lately to their dogs. Good luck & I'll be anxious to hear how you make out!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
That's so sad. :( I hope you guys find his owner. I never can figure out what people are thinking when they just let their dogs run loose like that, or just dump them. :( So glad to hear you put food out. Poor little guy. :(

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
well, I am sorry to say this...... but if the owners are letting this little dog run 'wild' and on his own..... I hope you NEVER find them and you can give him/her a loving home.... but if he is lost then by all means I do hope you find the owners. if he is lost I am sure they are very worried.... good luck in catching him..... doggies LOVE hot dogs.... hansel & gretel him to the garage with bits of hot dogs........LOL

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to say it but I agree w/ Jan, part of me doesn't want to walk up the hill to ask because they so apparently don't care...but I'm guessing it's the responsible thing to do...? I'm not sure...

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I hate to say it but I agree w/ Jan, part of me doesn't want to walk up the hill to ask because they so apparently don't care...but I'm guessing it's the responsible thing to do...? I'm not sure...
I know what you mean. :\ It would be really disturbing to have to return a dog to an owner that so obviously doesn't care. :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hubby saw it on his lunch but I didn't see it on mine :( He said he kindof spooked it when it saw him coming toward it so we don't think it likes men meaning I will have to try to get the little guy myself...I think I didn't see it b'c the spot its always in was hot and sunny at the moment so it was off in the shade somewhere. Poor little thing. I put water out for it too. A bad cat has been sleeping in the bed I put out for it, too, as well as eating its food I think...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I can believe people are so irresponsible leaving tiny dogs to run around. TN is big for this. These people moved in & rented the house across the street. They brought with them a male & female Chi (female had 1 pup) & another little brown & white dog. They let them run the neighborhood & I see them in the middle of the road everyday & have to hope & pray they don't get hit. This makes me so sick. Makes me want to grab the dogs & find good homes or take to the shelter which would probably be a safer place for them.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts