Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is finally learned sit! I would usually say "Haru, sit" but she rarely does it on the first time. She would do it around the second time. I read on the "puppies for dummies" book to not repeat tricks, so am I doing it wrong? Should I just walk away when she won't do it the first time?

Also, she NEEDS to see that I have a treat in my hand. If not she won't even budge haha :p Any tips for this?

· Registered
382 Posts
Yay Haru!!

I think you're right to reward and walk away once he gets it right. If you walk away after he gets it wrong, it doesn't seem to teach him anything. Just as long as you're not drilling it into the ground.

Also, Stella wouldn't do squat unless I had a treat as she was learning. Once Haru starts to get the hang of it, start weaning off treats and start moving towards praise. These days, I reward Stella with one of her toys. She LOVES to play, so it's a great reward for her.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
I still have to use treats for Honey - like yours, she just wont do a thing if i'm empty handed!
When Honey doesnt do a trick first time, the treat goes behind my back and i say 'Too Bad!' - so in her eyes, the tasty treat has disappeared becuase she didnt do what she was asked.
So i bring it back out, ask her to do whatever and she normally does it then, as she wants the food! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.