Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm getting my new chihuahua puppy, Rizik (giant in Hebrew) in October and I couldn't be more excited to make him a part of our family!

Rizik 4 Weeks

Like any soon to be "parent", I made a list and finally bought today, all the items on it. I've gotten EVERYTHING I could imagine needing in the first few months that some might forget about, things like tooth care items and enzyme cleaners. What I'm hoping you all can help me with is telling me about any items that a well prepared new Chi owner might have either forgotten or not know about.

Thanks SO much,
Alexis

·
Registered
711 Posts
What a cutie! I usually like to have heating pad (make sure the cords are not exposed), play pen, same food as he was eating before and pieces of chicken incase he gets picky, nutrical (to prevent low blood sugar), carrier, couple beds and soft blankets, pee pee pads, area rug (I like the area rug because since the floor is cold they can play without touching the bare tile) hmmm cant really think of anything else. I personally only pretend to clean the teeth so they continue to allow me to clean as adults and just keep it simple with plain water and food available throughout the day. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

I'm getting my new chihuahua puppy, Rizik (giant in Hebrew) in October and I couldn't be more excited to make him a part of our family!

Rizik 4 Weeks
View attachment 56217

Like any soon to be "parent", I made a list and finally bought today, all the items on it. I've gotten EVERYTHING I could imagine needing in the first few months that some might forget about, things like tooth care items and enzyme cleaners. What I'm hoping you all can help me with is telling me about any items that a well prepared new Chi owner might have either forgotten or not know about.

Thanks SO much,
Alexis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Alexis ,

First of all congrats on your new puppy !
I just adopted my first chi a few weeks ago and it had been nothing but joy.

It’s great that you are making sure to be prepared with top notch puppy supplies and I too spent a lot of time researching and buying stuff ahead of time but there were a few things I didn’t think of that I ended up getting afterwards . I made an account so that I could share with you my favorite discoveries ! If you’re still getting your puppy on the 6th then you might not see this until afterwards but either way here is the stuff that has been most useful to me , and things I did not think of until after :

1. treats ! I did not get any treats because chis are so small they really shouldn’t have many and I just didn’t think I needed them. But then when her appetite was non existent the first couple days I felt sorry that I didn’t have any comfort food. My local pet shop recommended a nice natural jerky that comes in very tiny pieces. I weigh out several portions of an appropriate days worth of treats for her and put them in little reusable containers , which is great because I don’t have to worry about over feeding.

2. Variety of toys but specifically these 3 kinds - a fluffy, crinkley toy for playing tug of war , a ball for throwing and chasing , and something rubber for teething. The smallest classic kong toy keeps her busy with or without treats inside :)

3. A mini sheep skin rug that acts as her portable puppy bed , outside of the crate . I’ll put this in any room that we’re hanging out in so that she has her own place. My childhood dog has the same one and puppies naturally love the feel, and I love that it looks so chic. It’s real fur and can be found at ikea for $24. Just be really sure not to let any accidents happen on it because it’s very very difficult to clean.

4. Greenies chews . NO RAWHIDES OR BONE. greenies are one of the only vet recommended chewing treats and half of the smallest size is enough every day. It’s great for their teeth and it’s nice to distract them with something when I need a few minutes.

5. Guillotine style nail clippers. Get them ASAP and even before you need to use them, pretend to use them around their paws so they get used to it. Lily has been such a superstar and clipping her nails the first time went great.

6.An emergency vet clinic. Just find out where the closest 24/7 vets are to you and decide on which one you will go to in an emergency. I thought my puppy swallowed something last week and time was LITERALLY of the essence because if they ingest something bad you have to have them induced for vomiting as fast as possible. So write down where you would go in case of an emergency so that if something ever happens, all you need to do is get into the car and go.

7. If you are crating GET THE TWO DOOR CRATE!! I meant to but I received a one door one and was too lazy to return it but I regret it. Hard to explain but makes a big difference.

8. An excellent harness for chihuahuas is made by my plush USA .The smallest size will be the correct one for your puppies first few weeks.

If I think of anything else I will come back and add it here ! Have a great time with your baby and on the first day, don’t be surprised if they are totally scared and upset. I felt so scared my first 48 hours with lily because I was afraid she was scarred from being driven away from her family and thrust into this new life. It’s totally normal for them to be absolutely terrified. Give yourself and puppy a couple days to relax . But at the same time, give that baby all the love you can. 24 hours in to adopting Lily I told the breeder that she seemed content in her crate and that I felt bad disturbing her in the one place she seemed to find some comfort. And I’m so grateful that the lady told me to pick her up and not be so worried. Also, socialize socialize socialize!!! My one regret (though I wouldn’t change anything) is that I adopted her at 16 weeks and she is really shy of other people. At 8 weeks you have a shot of using that precious socialization period to make them comfortable around people. Get a baby sling bag and take him along to every errand !! He can sleep in there or check out the world but that way he’ll have ample opportunities to relax around humans :)

looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also - if you got a puppy playpen like I did , PUT YOUR PUPPY IN THERE UNLESS YOU ARE ACTIVELY PLAYING. Obviously puppy proof everything anyways, but another big regret I have is not letting her spend time in there from the beginning . Now she thinks it’s a punishment because I let her roam around. In my opinion the fenced in area is isn’t for your puppy’s benefit , it’s for you to not have to worry that they’re getting into trouble whenever you turn your back. I’m going crazy thinking that she’s gotten into something but now I have to retrain her to accept being in there and I’m pretty sure if I had made sure she had just been hanging out in there from the beginning she wouldn’t even know that roaming outside of it was an option.
Also, just discovered she loves ice cubes :) so try that out for a nice healthy snack!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts