Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh wow she's changing fast! Very cute girl, great pic. :)
For her nails you can simply use regular nail clippers, same as for us.
They work great on a Chi since their nails are so tiny.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow she's changing fast! Very cute girl, great pic. :)
For her nails you can simply use regular nail clippers, same as for us.
They work great on a Chi since their nails are so tiny.
Thank you, LS! :)

Wow, really? I had no idea! I didn't think they would be strong enough. I'm going to give that a try in the morning then before I go out and spend money on pet nail clippers.

She is growing up so fast! She is so cute!
Thank you! :) She is growing up fast, but not growing very much, lol. I'm just waiting for some big growth spurt or something.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Yes they work very well, and get the job done quickly and efficiently.
If you do end up buying some pet nail clippers I suggest the ones meant for kittens, they are tiny enough and work well.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
No problem my friend. :) Just be careful with those tiny quicks. Styptic powder is a good thing to have on hand in case you cut a quick.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem my friend. :) Just be careful with those tiny quicks. Styptic powder is a good thing to have on hand in case you cut a quick.
Eep, I know. I'm always so nervous about cutting those tiny nails. I cut the quick on my Chi in the US once and ever since I have basically barely touched the nail while trimming in fear of cutting too short again.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Aw, beautiful Gemma! Love her!!!

As for nail clipping, I started with a human nail clipper as LS said. They worked well, but I was always so paranoid about cutting the quick, even though I had the powder. I eventually invested in a nail grinder- best money ever spent!!! Toby loves getting his nails done now!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes, I have cut the quick too on both of my babies! Poor things. And they bleed and bleed, even with the powder. So now I have the pedi paws, I use it without the safety cap on. It's wonderful!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Very true, a good grinder is a great investment. It may take a little while longer to get
Gemma used to it, but it is a safer option especially if you don't trust yourself enough with clippers.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
:love7::love7::love7::love7::love7:

I also use kitten clippers..they work great....I sometimes use the dremmel on Zar as her nails are dark.....

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
You are right--she is soooooo sweet! I also use human nail clippers for Lulu. They work very well, then I use a regular human file and file the rough edges. Lulu will lay perfectly still in my arms as long as it takes. My dad videoed for me to put on forum but I accidentally erased--I'll video again soon.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts