1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
oh, wow, What a beautiful creature! i would love to see her feeding her babies when they hatch :) Thank you for that, i'll be looking in on it again for sure

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this running for quite a while this afternoon.
She stood up and moved around, you could see the eggs ( 3 or 4).
She moved very gingerly as she rotated around them, and actually
pushed them together with her beak, than fluffed up the straw around them.

I would imagine at some point the father would come and take over on the nest, but not sure about that.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Oh, thanks Alan.. I watched an "owl" setup like this last year and it was truly wonderful.. I love birds!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I looked and the dad was actually sleeping on the eggs, could see the feathers ruffle a bit. When will they hatch? Do you have any idea?
Thanks for sharing. I watched a live cam once where a mini horse was being born it was so cool.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I didn't know the dads helped out, that's cool! I can't wait til they hatch either. Someone should post that update here, as I am the ADD type ;) ;) and will forget it exists then be sad I missed it.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Don't know how to spot the male from the female yet.
I was watching this morning ( you can actually view them all through the night). and which ever parent it was was singing, or calling.

It raised it's head back and made a very unexpected song....like a series of chirps

Here is some background info on the project:

Headlines
New Decorah eagle cam yielding stunning images
by Orlan Love :: UPDATED: 12 January 2011 | 11:59 pm :

This closeup of an eagle was captured Monday, Jan. 10, 2011, with the new pan/tilt/zoom video camera positioned above a bald eagle nest at the Decorah Fish Hatchery. The new camera will allow viewers to watch the pipping, or cracking open, of eagle eggs next month.
The new pan/tilt/zoom video camera positioned above a bald eagle’s nest near the Decorah Fish Hatchery is beginning to generate stunning footage of the eagles’ domestic life.

The PTZ camera, part of a major technology upgrade for the popular Decorah Bald Eagle Camera, will allow viewers to watch eagle eggs cracking open later this year, said Bob Anderson of rural Bluffton, director of the sponsoring Raptor Resource Project.

“You will be able to see saliva dripping from the beak of the mother eagle as she feeds her chicks,” an elated Anderson said.

Anderson said donations from Iowans, many of them Gazette readers, combined with a grant from Upper Iowa Audubon, paid for the upgrade, which includes two new cameras, two new modems, two new computers and “lots of cables.”

The response has been so overwhelming, he said, that the Raptor Resource Project was able to turn down an approved state REAP (Resource Enhancement and Protection) grant.

While the main nest camera is automated, Anderson said he manipulates the PTZ camera with a joystick from a nearby equipment shed.

Once the eagles start laying eggs, around Feb. 20, Anderson said he will operate the PTZ camera much more frequently. “Right now, they are in the courting and nest refurbishing stage, and they are not spending all that much time in the nest,” he said.

The eagle pair built the nest four years ago 80 feet up in a tree overlooking a trout stream and the hatchery. In the last three years, they have successfully raised eight chicks.

During last year’s nesting season, the site recorded more than 325,000 unique visitors from 125 countries, and nearly 3.9 million site visits as viewers logged in repeatedly to check the progress of the three chicks hatched there in early April.

The heavy usage maxed out the bandwith of the Luther College computer system that had hosted the site, causing service disruptions.

This year the site is hosted by a private company that provides the service in exchange for displaying a 30-second advertisement that precedes the live feed from the nest.

To access the site, go to Peregrine falcon recovery and click on “bird cams” at the top of the page, or go to Decorah Eagles on USTREAM: The Raptor Resource Project (www.raptorresource.org) brings you the Decorah Eagles from atop their tree at the fish hatchery in ...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well, I'm officially hooked on these majestic creatures.. I don't want to admit how much I have already watched them..lol I can even tell mom from dad now. :eek:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am addicted to it. It's just breathtaking.

There are lots of videos posted around youtube, here are a few interesting ones

The local surroundings

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
This is so fantastic! I bookmarked it and I've been watching it a lot today. Thank you for posting the link, Alan. :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have been watching continuely since Alan posted. It is so great to see the switch between mom and dad. Today Bob the camera operator zoomed all around and then they switched while he was zooming...Great. I can't wait till the start hatching.
There is a chat you can read if you sign up. Pretty informative.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I, too, have been glued to the eagle cam this afternoon.. I loved it when mom was calling for dad to come relieve her from the nest... Then he zooms in to take over..It gives a great opportunity to see the 3 eggs when they change places..Also when mom stands up to roll the eggs around and work on the bottom of the nest, I crack up as she goes to sit back down and does her little shimmy, shimmy, shimmy before settling back down again!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it's something to see her shuffling the eggs around and positioning herself back on them.

It's so incredible, you've been told ' a mother lays her egg and lays on them to keep them warm'...but to see her sitting there hour after hour, always on alert, and to see the couple interact by bringing in food and more nesting material and taking over on the nest.

It's really awe inspiring.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I love the shimmy she does. Makes me laugh! :D I told the kids she was "cuddling" the babies. ;) lol I am hooked as well. It stays up on my tabs constantly and volume up on speakers. Then when I hear anything I run over and click the tab to see what's going on. haha kind of like back in the day when i was hooked on the soaps. :laughing8:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The number of viewers has been going up - 15410 online now. It had been at 10,000 or less most the previous week.

Anyone see late yesterday afternoon when the male was perched out on a near by branch ? The camera operator was panning around quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Oh, I am sooo unbelievably hooked.. Alan, been over 27,000 viewers today, and way over 4,000 chatters signed in..I have so enjoyed learning the back ground of this pair, how he lost his first mate, and then paired with this young female for her first breeding season afterward... The PBS episode was just wonderful to watch, but with those heartbreaking moments that are part of all wildlife.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts