Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some chicken livers as well as chicken gizzards and hearts today at the store.

Now I still have Yoshi on the RAW so I am wondering when I can incorporate these in? At the first of the week they were still getting premade in the morning so not sure if I should this yet or not?

How much, how often and when should I start? I hope the chicken is okay over beef?

Also, do you guys do gizzards?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I started adding hearts/gizzards after about 2 weeks, the hearts are really rich so I started with just a small amount in addition to her regular food. They are fed as meat. Zoey loves them. I feed the gizzards/hearts as treats for them all the time. I have both beef & chicken liver and alternate monthly, this month is chicken livers :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, as Heather said you can start incorporating the hearts and gizzards as meat variety. I'd save the livers, just stick in a baggy and freeze for later. I would wait a month or so before starting organs. Your pre-made already has organs in it, so you aren't missing anything.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I quit using the premades this past Wednesday. So I will need these right? How much of a heart or gizzard do you give as treats?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Our guys loooove hearts and gizzards. :)

We just dole them out as meals (1-2oz depending on the dog). They're not so great for chewing, as our guys swallow them whole. ;)

As for the livers, I agree with Tracy. Save them for later. It would take A FEW MONTHS for your pups to become deficient in anything and by that time you will be ready to intro whole organ meals without worry of OMG RUNS! Heh. I hate those runs.

So just work slowly on getting them used to all sorts of meaty meat without having the runs, and in a while you can intro the livers/kidneys/etc.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Wow I didn't know that hearts and gizzards would be considered the meat, instead of organ. Especially didn't know you could do that as the whole meat part of a meal.. seems quite convenient since they're already very small portions and would be an easy way to measure and divide them up!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, the term 'organ' is a bit tricky, because some organs just count as 'meat'. In general, an organ that secretes something (kidney, liver, pancreas, spleen) counts as organ whereas those that don't (heart, gizzard, tongue) count as meat. The exception is brain which counts as an organ rather than a meat (I think).

I'm not sure what category lung falls into. I used to think it was organ, but now I am thinking meat? Anyone want to weigh in on that one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts