Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly - I understand dogs bark that's fine, up until last night I didn't realize I even had a problem. Our pups bark till they recognize the person and settle down and I personally thought that was okay.

A couple little girls decided last night that they were going to knock on my door at 11:30 (i'm home alone mind you) and run away. Okay, that's fine i'm not opening the door anyway so I let the dogs bark it off (30 seconds at most to settle them down)

10 minutes later - these snotty brats do it again. Dogs are getting upset and anxious as this is normally around the time "dad" gets home from work and they're anticipating him.

So by this time my OH is home, 30 minutes go by and they do it again - needless to say I was ready this time and chased them down, lets say it was ugly for them but I realized my dogs were insanely stressed this whole time, I need to work on getting their stress level down about new-comers to the home.

It's been hard since we've lived in an apartment since we first got Gretel, and at 750square feet, there isn't too much place to put a dog where they can't hear someone banging on the front door. Given last night was an extreme situation, I realized I need to help them de-stress a bit.

Any suggestions or ideas? I really only have 2 rooms that aren't in my living area, it's open concept so our kitchen, dining room, and living room are all connected and even our bedroom and bathroom are just a door away so :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, I can't honestly tell you what came out of my mouth as I was so furious the whole time - I must have been terrifying because after chasing them down and fussing at them they *ran* away. I got a lot of "yes ma'am, no ma'am, sorry ma'am, yes ma'am" - they got really upset when I told them to get the hell away from my house and I started to follow them across the complex.

It just makes me mad, we live in a high end apartment community, it's gated, we thankfully have quiet neighbors, my neighbor is a single dad with two small babies - they're lucky they got my door and not his because if they woke his kids, it wouldn't have ended as well as it did for them.

I would have had my neck wrung if I were out terrorizing that late anyway, clearly they don't know what kind of weirdos are out around here.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I am so sorry, what a horrible night that must have been.
Sounds very stressful for all involved.
I wonder if they were so upset because the knocking was unresolved... they never saw who was doing the knocking and so didn't release the tension/anticipation?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's possible. Our dogs don't bark at people they know, but it does take them a while to be comfortable. For example, OHs brother comes over frequently during the school year but we may not see him for 4-5 months during the summer, but they still settle right back down.

I'm working to introduce them to more people in our home, but with our constantly changing work and school schedule - we don't get too much company coming over. I will say when my mom came for the week they took about 2-3 minutes of barking at her, then about 20 to warm up to her, then they were sold on her company so I know they can tolerate people they've never met, these girls just took the cake.

Also, living in an apartment complex we get frequent visits when we're not home (maintenance, inspection, etc) and I know that freaks them out too. Sigh, can't WAIT to get in a house....counting down the days.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I get soooo few visitors, it's hard to teach them to not get hysterical with the barking. As long as I have the visitor come into the dog room, they do settle after a bit except for Pepper, my very timid boy, and Reggie, but with Reggie it's 'notice me notice me, notice me' As soon as they look at him, he throws himself on his back, demanding a belly rub. I wish I had more people to come over to teach them it's ok, but I don't forsee that happening.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Lion barks every time our neighbor opens his apartment door. We also have a park right outside our window where drunken teenagers and homeless people hang out at night time. He hears lots of noises and will growl/bark sometimes. I have found that if I name the thing that is outside, he will calm down. For example, I will say "It's just kids Lion, and they are being loud." or something and he will look at me and be quiet. I don't know if anyone else does something similar, but it works for me :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Lion barks every time our neighbor opens his apartment door. We also have a park right outside our window where drunken teenagers and homeless people hang out at night time. He hears lots of noises and will growl/bark sometimes. I have found that if I name the thing that is outside, he will calm down. For example, I will say "It's just kids Lion, and they are being loud." or something and he will look at me and be quiet. I don't know if anyone else does something similar, but it works for me :)
Actually, I have been trying this with Delilah, she is my worse barker when I am in the dog room. I tell her it's my brother or my son in the kitchen and they are allowed to be there. After barking at them a few times, she looks at me and will stop or bark under breath a couple more times, then stop.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We live in a complex of townhouses, and I have the same problem. I've not had any children knocking and running, but my two hear everything going on everywhere, and respond, especially so if we aren't here. We literally have to pull our couch out away from the front window when we leave every morning, or Pedro will be up there barking at the neighbors all day.

His barking is territorial. He thinks the entire complex belongs to him. Gracie is just a copy cat...She barks if he barks - half the time she doesn't even know what she is barking at.

I don't have much of a problem when people come in. They bark for a second until they see who it is and then it's over. If it's someone they don't know, I usually put Pedro in the downstairs bathroom behind his gate until I can see how he's going to react to them. If he wags his tail, I can turn him out, if he growls low, I leave him in.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Rotten. Wish I had some good advice for you, but I'm afraid calming the dogs with newcomers/knockers is something I need to work on too. Bailey and Lucy are the worst. I just don't want Zoey to pick it up. I think the answer is to have more people coming over and knocking so they can "practice."

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i'm glad i'm not alone in this it at least makes me feel better.

OHs parents have two JRT and they are at least easy to calm after people come in, but they've also had 3 kids through 4 years of high school worth of friends in and out of the house constantly to practice.

Gretel does NOT bark at people outside of the apartment, she wants to greet everyone and wags her tail like crazy. However, bring them into the apartment and she's not so certain. I worked in a video store when I got her and she was allowed to go to work with me so she met a lot of people and is very socialable, she loves people to pay attention to her, but she'll bark if she feels threatened in the house.

Godric - is STILL afraid of everything, indoors and out. I've tried introducing him, holding him, firm no's, soothing comfort, he's just something else I tell you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would think your doggies could sense that you were wound up by the girls knocking on your door, and picked up on your emotions too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts