Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, i have this really nice picture of my first dog Lady which i have printed out and hung in the hallway. I thought it was about time Locco got up on the wall to so yesterday i started taking some "studio photos" of him. The studio consisted of a white sheet over my living room arm chair. This is some of the pictures that came out of it

This is the one going to the printers

And maybe this one too, to have one of both of the together.

and this one was just for fun :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O, i am bribing them with candy ;) Lady is used to having to put up with being a model. She is a true champ. I put her in a position and tell her to hold it, and so she does until the flash fires off. Thats her que for "ok you are released now" Locco is learning. This was his first experience. He is a bit more lively than Lady so he is harder to work with but i am sure he will catch on :) He did great for a first timer :)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
so pretty which camera did u use?/

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Those are great pics :) I have recently been trying to decide which pictures of my dogs to blow up and hang on my wall. I have 900 and something photos in my digital camera and 80 percent are of my dogs. So deciding has been very difficult.

·
Registered
290 Posts
WOW great photos! I keep meaning to get round to doing this myself.
What camera are you using? (I like to blame my tools haha)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

Thanks for all the nice comments :)

As a few people have mentioned that they would like this kind of photos of their own little Chi’s and I have been asked what camera I have been using, I though it would post a small “how to” and hopefully that will be of some help to get those photos that you want.

First off, the equipment: For the latest photos I have been using my Canon 350 EOS and a Canon 18-55 mm lens. Now, this is actually not all that important. You can get great pictures using a simpler camera too, but just to put it out there for those who have been asking.

The one most important thing for me being able to do this is to teach my dogs the command “hold it”. Now this is new to Locco but Lady has learned to master it with pretty good precision. Basically what it means is that I put the dog in a position and ask them to HOLD that position. Like I said, Locco is new to this so…he is not quite there yet. Candy works wonders though so always have treats near by and they will soon get a hang of what you are asking of them. For example, Lady has learned that she can move again, AFTER, the flash has fired off. Also remember lots and lots of praise. Make the sessions short so that the dog(s) wont get bored and if you have more than one dog, start training them individually. Read your dog as for how long they can sit still and “release them” right before they loose focus and “release themselves”. If you are a bit to late, put them back in the same position, say Hold it, and them release them just a split second after, give them praise and candy etc etc. This is also great mental training for them and they learn to be patient but don’t count on great shots in the beginning. This is the step that will take time and patience.

Also, I have by now learned to hold the camera, compose and shoot with one hand while using the other hand to direct the gaze of my dog or hold a treat etc etc.

As for composition, it is better to get down to the level of your dog, or to get the dog up to your level. This means that many times when shooting the dogs, I am down on my knees if not lying on my stomach, on the side, on my back you name it. I think that is about as important as teaching the dogs to hold a position. Maybe even more as being on the same level does wonders also with your “every day” photos.

As we live in the world of digital photography, don’t be scared to shoot away. I take loads and loads of photos and 90% of them are discarded after. Sometimes all I get is a tail, an ear or just a big blur as…well…they do still move around J A flash does a good job “freezing” movements though and I strongly recommend an external flash for those who have this possibility. The inbuilt flash can at times be too strong and burn out the picture leaving hardly any details at all. If so, you can soften the flash by putting some tissue paper in front of it. The flash still need to be able to penetrate it though so thin layer only.

If anyone is interested in post editing done, please let me know and I can post a different thread on that with some before and after pictures. And of course, also feel free to ask anything about photography. I am just an amateur like most people, but I have been at it for a while and I might have a few tips for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts