Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the worst thing we are on vacation staying in someone else home...when we got here there was another dog with it....she assumed it was something the dog ate...within 3 to 4 days 2 other dogs that had come in contact with that dog got sick...I have 2 chihuahua's and Jose so far is good but Lola isn't ...It started in the middle of the night on Tuesday...so Wed I went out and bought yogurt...chicken...hamburger and rice...I boiled the hamburger and rice and she ate some throught the day but not alot...OH I forgot to mention she had no food for 21 hrs or so..But this morning she stumbled when she got out of bed...I guess she is weak from not eating....She is drinking alittle....I am very worried..the dog here that had it first...had it for 3 full days then the 4th day he started to get better...all she did was feed him rice...Just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing ? I thought I should go home and take her to the vets but its a 6 hrs drive...and she has diarrhea a good 6 to 8 times a day..

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Poor Lola. How long have you been there and when do you leave? Yeah, 6 hours is quite a distance. But, I know if it were me, I would either take her to the vet your friend uses or go home. If you drove to where you are, then it's no big deal, you can stop every hour or so for her to relieve herself. But then, my husband thinks I am a big worry wort and tell me to give it time!!
I can't help but feel so bad for these little guys! However, they are stronger than we give them credit for sometimes! I hope Lola gets better quick!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am sure she is getting dehydrated. It is very important that you get her to a vet. Don't wait until you get home. Go today. She may need subQ fluids and other supportive therapy.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I agree. Get her to the Vet ASAP. Stumbling is not good. I would not give the boiled hamburger meat. I would give nothing other than a little boiled chicken, no salt, and boiled rice, no salt. I would give her some honey 3 times a day, and would buy some Fortiflora to get the bacteria in her gut back in sorts. But being sick that long will probably take some meds to get things quickly back on track before she ends up worse. Best of luck with your Angel. Get well soon!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Nutri-cal is also a very good supplement when they are on the outs with their tummy, and for sugar issues. But if you use it, just use a small pea sized glob once first thing in the AM, and once before bed. Too much can make their stools soft. But not only will it help her sugar levels, it gives her the vitamins she’s losing through the diarrhea. It’s not a long term fix, but can be very good short term.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am like an hr away from town and any kind of store that would sell any of those products...we are out in the country...we are planning on going home tomorrow...and if we get back in time b4 the vets close ( if needed).. If not she would have to wait til Sat...she actually has perked up today...chasing rabbits ...and the old barn cats...I am shocked they don't just scratch her ..she is all of 4 pounds...I don't like her chasing other animals but at least she is moving around more today...
I have been giving her boiled chicken...she wasn't a fan of the boiled hamburger yesterday...nor does she like the rice...but I've been mashing it in with the chicken...so she is getting some....But how often should I be giving her the chicken ? I was thinking alittle every 3 or 4 hrs til bedtime ? She is drinking water but I have been offering it to her..she hardly goes to the water bowl on her own..
Her stool is still very wet and explosive but there is very little of it when she does go..Must be some kinda doggy virus going around here

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would not wait to take that poor little soul to the vet. If you don't want to take her to the country Vet, then can't you leave today and get her back home ASAP so she can get some help. I don't understand why you wouldn't drive the hour to get into town to see a vet. Of course this is just my opinion, I don't think you realize how fast these little dogs can deplete all their reserves.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't say the vet was an hr away....nice how ppl on here are just waiting to jump all over someone

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I didn't say the vet was an hr away....nice how ppl on here are just waiting to jump all over someone
I'm not jumping all over you, but you've had two very experienced and knowledgeable chi owners tell you to get your dog to the Vet asap and you are saying that if you can't get home in time tomorrow she can just wait until Saturday, well by Saturday it may be too late. I'm not really worried about your feelings, I'm more worried about your little 4 Lb dog who is very sick. You came here and asked for advice. :foxes15:

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you can't get those supplements, keep up with the yogurt and rice. The yogurt has the requisite protein and the rice will help with the diarrhea. Pumpkin puree is also helpful for upset tummies and can help until you get her to the vet. It also has some sugar in it that she needs to stave off hypoglycemia.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It sounds like your little one is feeling better today...such a worry when they are sick...hopefully she is over the worst of it...

Zari just had a few bad days with diarrhea....the vet suggested giving her fluids with a syringe to ensure she kept hydrated....she also was on antibiotics, Sulcrate and a Rx supplement ( $7 a can and there was no way she would take it LOL ) .. For meals it was boiled chicken and rice...which thankfully she liked :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes I came here asking for advice...and I do happen to know stuff about animals as well..I am not a total idiot as u think I am...the vet I called is the one suggested I starve her for 24 hrs...I thought that was to long cause she was very hungry so after 21 hrs she had food yesterday...And also recommended giving her boiled hamburger and rice..even tho I prefer using the chicken cause I know she will eat it...He also said she should have as much going in her as coming out so she doesn't get dehydrated..and also how to check for dehydration...I also came here for support and to speak to ppl who love animals as much as me..I WOULD NEVER do anything to hurt my pets..just because I can't get her to a vet this instant doesn't mean I haven't done all I can to make her feel better !

Oh and I wanted to thank you ladies on here who have been helpful with your suggestions...

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yeah, hamburger meat is not "bad," but it's more fatty. Chicken is always the better alternative with tummy issues. When they have diarrhea fasting is usually always the Vets advice. But 23 hours over 24 will make no difference. However, since she still has it, you know something is going on. Once the bacteria gets out of whack in their gut, it usually takes some type of treatment to get it back on track. I personally would not wait to get her to the Vet, but it's your choice. I'm not sure why your Vet said that she needs as much going in as she has coming out. Any diarrhea or vomiting only makes things worse. They will probably give you Metronidazole (an antibiotic), possibly some Sucralfate (it absorbs the contents of the stomach, like an acid barrier). Giving the Forti-Flora will keep the bacteria stable in the gut while giving the meds. They all kinda go together. Each Vet has their own ideas, so this is just some of the things you may be given. Being that she is losing everything that goes in, she will become dehydrated. Being dehydrated can affect all her organs. It's just not a good thing to let that go on long. The Nutri-Cal and honey will keep her sugars level until she is all sorted out. I would try the Chicken and rice, small amounts, 4 times a day. Your Vet may even put her on a gastrointestinal food until her stool starts firming up. There are so many causes of diarrhea that it's impossible to say what's going on. Some worse than others. Best wishes.

I would get a syringe and give her water every hour even if she doesn't want it. But if she starts vomiting, I would stop. At that point you really have no choice to get her to the Vet, or she may not survive the night. :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with what everyone here has said.

Just wanted to add that chicken baby food is usually well tolerated and most dogs like it. I would give it at the same time as the nutrical as nutrical is a syrup that can cause blood sugar fluctuations. Yes, it's a great supplement, but it is high in sugar. So it causes the blood sugar to spike up and you see an almost immediate improvement. But... if you don't follow it with a protein to stabilize the blood sugar, they will have a sugar crash in about an hour where they will revert to feeling very lethargic. It can also cause loose stools as T pointed out. So yes - it's a good thing - just give a protein with it like the baby food. Gerbers is OK. Beech is better. The gerbers has tapioca in it. The beech brand of chicken baby food is just the pureed chicken and broth, no other additives.

You can also do sips of gatoraid or other electrolyte solution. The one for infants is good. Diarrhea depletes electrolytes and becomes a bad cycle. If she won't drink it, syringe it in her mouth - alternating with water.

Don't let her run around, even though she seems to be feeling better. You have a very small chi and they are fragile. Until the diarrhea is resolved, she should be resting, not exerting energy.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi Nancy, hope things are improving by the time you get this post:) I agree with the chicken--baby food or just boiled and mashed. I would avoid the rice but maybe add some chicken broth--low sodium if possible. Canned pumpkin is also great (not the pumpkin pie mix, just the plain), just try a teaspoon with the chicken. Also, pedialite or diluted gatoraid for sure. If you have time freeze some like ice cubes, they usually will lick this, or go for the syringe suggestion.

And, a friend of mine in Canada just had her dog treated for Beaver Fever--she is in the country too! had to give antibiotics for 2 weeks:( but her pup is beter now... Just a thought seeing your location. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Sorry she's not feeling well Nancy. :(

I'd be syringing her plain pediatlyte every hour for sure. And since it seems like she may have gotten a bit hypoglycemic I'd also give her a bit of honey/babyfood every 2-3 hrs for a day or so. And feed only boiled chicken.... I'm glad she seems to have perked back up--hopefully she continues to feel better!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to mention the pedialite..she won't drink it on her own...I tried to syringe it into her but she freaks out and the slightest little things..so it was stressing her alittle...but she will lick it off my finger..better than not at all..so I will be giving her this throught the night...hopefully she won't have any more stumbling in the am...then we leave for home..then to the vets...
I'm going to go search the house for honey right now...I think your right Heather she might have gotten alittle hypoglycemic :(
I hate this..and not being home is the worst..on a good note she is not going as often....could be because she is not eating as much either or she might be turning the corner...I'll let u know how the vet fares out tomorrow

1 - 20 of 45 Posts