Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Omg just got new pics from the breeder taken tonight. He's sooooo tiny!!! He's 13.5 weeks old and only weighs 1lb!!!! These pics were taken tonight with some things I sent to him:

This amazes me.....this is one of those TINY dingo chew treats.....the package is maybe 3 inches long!!!!! Look how big the treat looks!!!!!

Last one.....this is a small dog toy......wow, he's sooooo small. I cannot wait to meet him!

Ok, so give me your thoughts/opinions!!!!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
He is darling! I like black, too!
I'd be certain never to feed him rawhide. Bad for all dogs and with your guy being so small you'll have to be extra careful with things. You would not want anything that could block his tiny digestive tract.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Does this breeder purposely breed for such tiny Chis?
Do you know a lot about this breeder? Do they have good intentions?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just a thought.... not trying to be debbie downer here.... but if I was buying a very tiny pup like him from a breeder in another state, I'd want to make sure he was healthy and not small because he has a problem. You can ask her to take him in for a bile acid test, and that would tell you the state of his liver. Many tinies are tiny... because they have a liver shunt. How heartbreaking it would be to find this out after you get him home with you. A bile acid test is a simple blood test, runs about $100 or less. It would be worth it for peace of mind in my opinion.

Many, many yorkie people have this test run routinely on their tinies. Many reputable yorkie breeders do a bile acid test as a matter of routine on their puppies because it is so common in their breed. It's not quite as common in Chi's, but you can't help but wonder when you have one that is so small. And didn't the breeder say he wasn't a very good eater? If so, that could also hint at a possible liver problem.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. If all comes back good, then excellent!!! If not, at least you have saved yourself thousands of dollars in vet bills, plus a lot of grief.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Just a thought.... not trying to be debbie downer here.... but if I was buying a very tiny pup like him from a breeder in another state, I'd want to make sure he was healthy and not small because he has a problem. You can ask her to take him in for a bile acid test, and that would tell you the state of his liver. Many tinies are tiny... because they have a liver shunt. How heartbreaking it would be to find this out after you get him home with you. A bile acid test is a simple blood test, runs about $100 or less. It would be worth it for peace of mind in my opinion.

Many, many yorkie people have this test run routinely on their tinies. Many reputable yorkie breeders do a bile acid test as a matter of routine on their puppies because it is so common in their breed. It's not quite as common in Chi's, but you can't help but wonder when you have one that is so small. And didn't the breeder say he wasn't a very good eater? If so, that could also hint at a possible liver problem.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. If all comes back good, then excellent!!! If not, at least you have saved yourself thousands of dollars in vet bills, plus a lot of grief.
I agree.
I would want him to see a vet of your choice not only for what Tracy said but also because his back is very very roached (curved..) which could be a spinal deformity. He also looks overshot in the pic which is ok for a pet but not good it can cause problems with eating etc and obv if he is going to be small you do not want any problems with him eating due to hypoglycaemia. He looks younger than 13 weeks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a couple more pics of London and his back doesn't look curved:

His birthday is 11/18/2011 so that makes him 14 weeks and 1 day old. The rest of the litter is bigger but he was the runt and stayed small. She says he is a great eater just doesn't care for kibble and is very healthy so far. She does have a lot of small chis like 3-4 lbs but he is just a tiny little thing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
13 weeks is a pretty long time. maybe the breeder shows dogs, but this one was too tiny *shrug*
She breeds and has a lot of puppies for sale. He was the runt of the litter and just stayed very tiny. She doesn't let her puppies go til 12 weeks but she's not letting him go for a few more weeks cause of his size. I do respect her for that. She seems to take good care of her puppies.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is a very playful pup that eats well. Other than being small he shows no signs of liver shunt. Wouldn't he be lethargic? Or show other signs?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good luck!He is a cute tiny Lad! I would shy away from walgreen stuffiees and opt for drs smith and foster and lean towards nylabones and bully sticks while monitored. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts