Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm looking at adopting a long coat adult chi - I have two short coat ones already. Both of the girls I'm looking at are 20 months old but one has a rather skimpy coat and the other has a much fuller coat (looks like a papillon almost). Does the coat indicate whether one was well-bred and the other not well-bred? Or do coats differ among the long-coat chis? Also, by age 20 months is the coat fully grown in, like in the case of the lesser coated chi or would hers maybe still grow? Thanks.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Coat type varies from dog to dog, some lines have super lush poofy coats, others have thinner coats that are long, but not poofy. It really doesn't indicate well bred or not, at all, a lot of chis are way over-coated these days tho, they aren't supposed to be poms!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A lot just has to do with genetics, along with nutrition; and like codyann said it can take a couple years for the coat to fully develop.

Three of my LC's are on a raw diet so nutritionally they're very healthy, but each has a very different coat type and except for Lua, are 3 years of age.

Ellie's (3) is VERY thick and poofy:

Aloysius (3) has a thinner shorter coat... except for a super thick mane...

And Kahlua who's 1 and a half is a middle grown; her body coat is thick but short, while her ear fringe and tail are super fringey...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The coat isnt an indication of well bred at all - I know a puppy mill dog who has a stunning coat, but she also had Luxating Patellas, is blind in one eye and had behavioural problems,but just to look at her she looks lovely.

Girls tend to have less coat than boys anyway, and both are still young so their coats could easily be still coming in - my 15 month old bitch's coat has taken forever to really start coming in!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kitty&Kahlua your pics are soooo helpful, thank you!! the rescue people don't really know the background of the dogs they get so i was hoping i could judge health by coat, but obviously not :) the girl i'd most like to adopt looks a lot your Kahlua.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts