Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to wonder if Princess Peach is a long coated chi. Maya was a smooth coat with just a single coat. Not much fur at all. Bruiser is a double coat; really thick coat but all of the hair is short.
Peach has really soft fur and it is long at the neck and behind the ears etc. Very soft and full throughout her body and legs. The neck hair is what has me wondering if maybe she is a long coat. Just curious. She is 5 1/2 months now and hair seems to be getting longer. Thoughts?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree, she looked short coat in the last pictures you posted of her and bruiser at the game. But new pictures might prove other wise... ;)haha :D

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She's a SC. She just has a really thick coat. Chance & Gia are like that as well.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I just went back and looked at your ND pics again and I agree, she looks like a thick coated SC. Reese is the same way, with that really thick fur around his neck, he has a little bit of "pants" too, the feathering around his back legs.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
She looks like a SC to me. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That's what I thought, but her neck hair seems to be so long. But I do think she does look a lot like Leo in the pics in terms of hair. It seems there is so much variation. I think I am used to Maya who was so thin coated. She practically had no hair on her legs. Peach is a like a little stumpy fluff ball. haha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She looks like a double smooth to me -- Oakley has the very, very soft hair you are describing, whereas Laurel and Trigger have more the hair you described that Miss Maya had. The double smooth is soooo nice IMO, I love it. The fur is soooo soft on some of them it's like minky :-D If she was LC you would KNOW by now, their fur is just totally different.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
How about Hazel? long coat or short coart? If you say long coat, when does it get long? She is now 20 weaks old?

Long coated...she's just blown her puppy coat. Some LC chis have less fur than others it all depends on the lines. She won't start to get her adult coat in until around 6-7 months and it can take up to 3 years to come in fully :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Draco has the thick little lions ruff around his neck and his coat is a thick double coat. He even has a hint of pantaloons on this hind legs. I know they have different dads, but the double coat may be handed down from the mom.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thanks. That's what I thought, but her neck hair seems to be so long. But I do think she does look a lot like Leo in the pics in terms of hair. It seems there is so much variation. I think I am used to Maya who was so thin coated. She practically had no hair on her legs. Peach is a like a little stumpy fluff ball. haha
Its hard to really know for certain just from pictures, and Leo is my first LC so Im no expert, but Peachs neck at least reminds me of Reeses. Heres just a quick pic I took of him where you can see his neck, sorry for the poor quality I just snapped it on my phone as he tends to be more agreeable to pictures that way!

He has a LOT of fur around his neck and his shoulders, those arent rolls of chub over his collar, its just all fur (I promise!)

Im sure Leo wanted to be more helpful, but he wouldnt sit still...Hes pretty blurry, but I think you can still get an idea of what his fur is like

Im not sure if you can tell from pictures, but his fur is really long and fuzzy and sticks straight out from his body. As a puppy Reese didnt have so much thickness around his neck, but his fur always laid flat along his body. I think that is the easiest way to tell LC from SC when theyre pups. Miley on the other hand has really thin fur, with a bare neck, belly and underside of her legs, and its very short on her head, her head feels exactly like suede. Ive had people ask if she is a hairless dog, even if she was a "naked chihuahua", lol. I think theres just a lot of variations in how short the SCs are.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the response about Hazel. Yes she is very very soft. She also has a lot of hair behind the ears, but that is the only area that is long at this point.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Now I've had both I love both. Short look smaller because they have less hair and they are sooooooo much easier to look after coat wise.

If you get a long coat you need to get one from a decent breeder of longs. A lot these days don't have the decent coat they should for longs and are sort of in between like my Lola. My Cookie was from a top breeder and his coat is stunning. Like Therese and Tabitha and jerry. They are a fab example of a long.

I love both.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. She was sold as a SC and I'm sure Susan knows more than I do. LOL But she is even fuzzier than Bruiser (who is a double coat SC). I'll take more pics tomorrow but she is fuzzy on her chest where the fur kind of peaks in the middle and her neck and even her legs. But her ears are definitely more SC since they don't have that extra fuzz. I guess she is just one thick coated SC. LOL Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I know what you are referring too. Gia is that way. If she had fringe on her ears, I'd swear she was a LC. But she's a SC. Her coat is so thick that you can run your fingers through it. The thickness of it around her neck is unbelievable for a SC. She has very thick hair on her tail too, and has the booty fringe. Chance's is very thick too, but not as thick as Gia's.

You can see when she's wet that she has super thick hair for a SC.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oh, wanted to mention. The "globs" of white on her neck is all hair! :lol:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know what you are referring too. Gia is that way. If she had fringe on her ears, I'd swear she was a LC. But she's a SC. Her coat is so thick that you can run your fingers through it. The thickness of it around her neck is unbelievable for a SC. She has very thick hair on her tail too, and has the booty fringe. Chance's is very thick too, but not as thick as Gia's.

You can see when she's wet that she has super thick hair for a SC.

YES! That's how Peach is. Her name is suiting her since peach fuzz would be appropriate. LOL She has really thick and soft hair that you can run your fingers through all through her body. Bruiser is more sleek with a ruffer coat. It's really thick, but shiny and his legs and chest are way more sparse.
So interesting all the variations.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts