Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be bringing my first long coat chihuahua home soon and have been looking at a lot of pictures of adult long coat chihuahuas. I've noticed that many of them have very different long coat types. For example some long coats have very smooth, slick long coats while there are others with more of a curled, rough looking long coat...and everything in between it seems. lol

So I am curious, what is responsible for the differences in the long coat? Is is genetics? Grooming? A combination of genetics and grooming?

I am very well versed in the Siberian husky breed and almost every husky coat is at least slightly different from the next and it is due to genetics so I'm curious if this is the same for Chihuahuas.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
im not too sure really
jet has a really thick coat whereas layla has a thinner straighter coat
i think they dont really get their full coat till there around 3 - jets 3 1/2 and laylas one so that might be why
you have made me curious now :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I really think it's genetics. Like breeding long coat to short coat can cause an inbetween coat. Like the puppy I am getting her mom has a really thick coat. Now my moms chi his coat is long but thin.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I really think it's genetics. Like breeding long coat to short coat can cause an inbetween coat. Like the puppy I am getting her mom has a really thick coat. Now my moms chi his coat is long but thin.
Oh i just love your 2 babies,can i have them ????PLEASE

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I will be bringing my first long coat chihuahua home soon and have been looking at a lot of pictures of adult long coat chihuahuas. I've noticed that many of them have very different long coat types. For example some long coats have very smooth, slick long coats while there are others with more of a curled, rough looking long coat...and everything in between it seems. lol

So I am curious, what is responsible for the differences in the long coat? Is is genetics? Grooming? A combination of genetics and grooming?

I am very well versed in the Siberian husky breed and almost every husky coat is at least slightly different from the next and it is due to genetics so I'm curious if this is the same for Chihuahuas.
Lily has a smooth coat (ish ) her mum was the same but her dad did ????so she's in between

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I think about it, my future long coat is out of two smooth (short) coat parents so now I'm really intrigued as to how hers will be. My mother in law has a long coat chihuahua who is 10 years old and his coat is very thick, curls. Yet I see pics of some long coats with long straight fur, both types are gorgeous but I am thinking it is a genetically based trait. More thoughts and input are welcome!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Both of Tucker's parents are SC's, and he is super fluffy. He's only a year old, and his coat is longer than most fullgrown LC's I've seen.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Jerry and Tabitha are littermates (from smooth coat parents).
His coat is more silky; hers is a big powder puff/cotton ball :)
so, you see, even siblings can vary...

·
Registered
881 Posts
originally there were only smooth coat chihuahuas, so they cross breed smooths to Papillons, Pekingese, Pomeranians and Tibetan Spanies to get the long coat.
here in the uk were not allowed to cross breed the coats and by not being able to do this we are loosing 'type' and having a lot of problems with undershoot bites (which is carried from breeds who have this as there standards) ect ...
the correct coat type for a chihuahua is : soft texture (never coarse or harsh to touch) either flat or slightly wavy. Never tight and curly. Feathering on ears, feet and legs, pants on hindquarters, large ruff on neck desirable. Tail long and full as a plume.
xxx

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, Lou lou, thanks for the info. I never knew there was a correct coat type within the "long coat" classification. Good to know about how the long coat came about too.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My 2 long coats have different fur types. They are bathed with the same products, so I don't think it's grooming that makes the difference. Babs has a rougher coat, still nice to touch, but more texture to it. Lovee has a silky coat which is more shiny. Babs needs to be washed more frequently because her hair seems to attract more stuff and hold on to it. Lovee can be just brushed sometimes and her coat returns to the nice shiny clean just like after her bath.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Cookie was always smooth but by god Benny's had some curl to it lol.

As Cookie has aged his coat has gone very flufffy and long.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
That explains why both my Chi's have undershot jaws!!:D
Adams coat is the long, silky kind. Not particularly fluffy but quite shiny looking. He has lovely thick fur trousers and a beautiful plumy tail but I do wish he had a more impressive ruff.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lily's coat looks wonderful, how old is she in the pic? I'm only asking since I know they tend get their full coat at around 3 years or so. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
LOL! Your last post is too funny!! As already said - it's all in genetics. And even that can varry. My only LC Mari is from a SC mom & LC dad. The breeder told me her coat wouldn't be too long or full...and very silky like her dad. So far (Mari is only 16 months) that has held true. Though before I got Chi's I preferred the LC's - after getting my SC's I wasn't crazy about the idea of getting a LC but Mari won my heart. So hearing she'd probably have a shorter than some coat that was silky was very appealing to me.

Anyway, since you want pics here are 2 of Mari that best show her coat. ;) The first is Mari now - she has just gone through a shedding & is filling out again. The second pic is her before she shedding. (LC's generally go through seasonal sheds where most SCs shed a bit all year round)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Lily's coat looks wonderful, how old is she in the pic? I'm only asking since I know they tend get their full coat at around 3 years or so. :)
She is 1 year 9 months and 3 days,she was supposed to be a reverse tri colour.Didn't end up that way

1 - 20 of 22 Posts