Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer and why? For those of you with both varieties, do you see many differences in the two types, besides the obvious?
In my experience the long coated Chi's tend to be more laid back, mellow, cuddly dogs, and the smooth coats more lively and outgoing. (Like my two nutcases!)
I wondered if anyone else has noticed this?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I hear some people saying they think long coats are more mellow, but from what I've seen it really varies. I have two short coats. My male short coat is very mellow and laid back. My female short coat is more playful and goofy, but she has a laid back side too though, she is not go go all the time at all. They are both extremely affectionate and loving. I personally really just think it varies by the dog.

The only other thing I will add is that having dogs all my life I have noticed that my male dogs have tended to be a little more loving and cuddly, always at your side etc. and females, while loving, can sometimes be a little more aloof. That's my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like both.
But with a smoothcoat you know what you get...

With a long coat you have to wait, how long and how full it's gonna be..

And they do say the long coat is more mellow.

What I was told is that the chi originally is smooth coat. They used other breeds to get the long coat.
For that reason the long coat should be more mellow.

But the 2 coat types are mixed together, so you can get a smoothcoat out of long coat parents and the other way around.
So I think that it depends on how much long coats there are in the blood line of a smooth coat.
The more long coats in the bloodline, the mellower the smooth coat will be.... just my guess

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh, and I should add, I prefer smooth coats. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had read once that the main difference in personality between long coats and smooth coats was that smooth coats were big cuddlers and long coats were happy to be near you, but necessarily on you. In my house this appears to be true. JJ, a smooth coat always wants to be cuddled or held, and curls up with us. Monty, a long coat, is happy to lie near us, sometimes against us, and occasionally on us, but gets hot, and moves to lie by himself after just a short while. Also Monty the long coat likes to lie of the bare floor and JJ the smooth coat won't even consider it. So, although it looks like a personality thing, I think its actually a bodyheat thing.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I definitely prefer smooth coats, they got more spunk to them(usually).
Of course Chanel is an exception to the rule because she's my baby girl.
In general I am more attracted towards short coated dogs, I just like the look.
As for temperament, obviously responsible breeding has a lot to do with it, but
so does responsible ownership/training/raising, etc. therefore we can't always
judge by coat type alone. But I definitely agree that in general short coats are
more lively, entertaining and nutty, lol.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's a toss-up--I have two of each. There are a LOT of tan smooth coats in our rescue, and when we rarely get a long coat, they go fast. My favorite girl is a smooth coat, my fav boy a long coat. If I didn't limit myself to rescues, I would definitely go for along hair chocolate Chi. i adore them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I love the majestic and regal look of the lc but maintenance wise i prefer short/smooth coats. I was contomplating on getting a lc but i really dont think the long hair on my cloths and furnture would be something i want to live with. But they are very beautiful none the less.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I love the majestic and regal look of the lc but maintenance wise i prefer short/smooth coats. I was contomplating on getting a lc but i really dont think the long hair on my cloths and furnture would be something i want to live with. But they are very beautiful none the less.

Funny you bring that up, I find the long coats shed less than the smooth.
And when they do shed their hair is so easy to pick up/clean up, but smooth
coats' hair gets stuck deep in the clothes and is tougher to get out imo.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just remember how my aunts shi tzuh would shed and she would get so irritated when ever she would get dressed up and her cloths had fur hanging from them lol
Every body i know that has a chi has a sc so i dont know off hand what it is really like. If its not that bad i may still consider getting one. I just love the way look with their flowing manes lol

·
Registered
919 Posts
I only have Holly (and Lilly if she'd adopt me) to go by, but I have to say I prefer smooth coats for obvious reasons. As much as I love the look of a long coat, it's just too much hair for me!

Holly's still just a pup and can be pretty wild, but when she crashes, she loves to cuddle. I'm not sure how old Lilly is, but she appears to be an older chi who is very laid back and mellow. I doubt she's into cuddling though. She doesn't like to be approached... :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
That was my thought when I read it, too! Long-haired dogs in general tend to shed less than short-haired ones. Lacey hardly sheds at all and neither do my mum's Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I've had short-coated breeds all my life, so it's *nice* not having a shedder now!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Yes it does!! Jaxx has been shedding lately, I guess because Spring is here and it seems like I have Jaxx hairs on my clothes all the time. It seems like those little tiny hairs are impossible to get off sometimes.

That being said I love the look and the spunky little attitude that Jaxx has. I am not sure his little spunky attitude is because he is a short coat but he definitely keeps us entertained.

I was just sitting on the floor doing school work and Jaxx jumped down off of his chair and started licking my hand that was on the mouse. When I did not acknowledge his presence he started climbing up on my arm (I was almost done and knew I could play with him when I finished.) He got tired of waiting let out a deep sigh and jumped back up into his chair with one of his toys. Sometimes he just has such an attitude that it cracks me up.

Since we brought Jaxx home I have said that I would like another Chi and this time perhaps a long coat but I think our next one will probably be a short coat too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With my two, Penelope (in the Avatar) is definitely more high strung than Pee Wee and she is definitely Alpha. Pee Wee is actually a long coat but for the past year I have been getting his coat groomed and cut so he actually looks like a smooth coat. His long hair was a hassle and it always got dirty, especiallly the hair on the back of his hind legs (and you know what that got dirty with!) Plus he always seemed to get fleas when his coat was longer. He is very laid back so it may be true that long coats are milder.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I've always perfered long coats chis basically because I love coming my fingers through Daisys hair when shes snuggling with me.

Daisy actually sheds less than my other dog who is short hair.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Which do you prefer and why? For those of you with both varieties, do you see many differences in the two types, besides the obvious?
In my experience the long coated Chi's tend to be more laid back, mellow, cuddly dogs, and the smooth coats more lively and outgoing. (Like my two nutcases!)
I wondered if anyone else has noticed this?
My own observation has been that I find short and LC have different temperments beyond the breeding for some reason. My own SC was very high strung and yappy & so are both of my girlfriends SC's. I have two longs.. a Chocolate and Black spotted on white and both are as calm and mellow as you can get.

Funny.. the short coat drove me nuts with all his wirey little hairs all over, and he was not even double coated!
My LC's do not shed much at all, and I have a son who is highly allergic to a lot of animals and he has done better with the LC than SC.

This!! :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'm a short coat person all the way. I've never been a fan of long coated dogs and I like to let my dogs run around in the park like a pair of loonies and I love that I don't have to brush them each time - my mum has a Malti-poo and the poor thing comes back matted after our walks.

Personality wise I have a quiet one and a crazy one amongst my two smoothcoats and the mum of the crazy one was actually a long coat so go figure!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm a short coat person all the way. I've never been a fan of long coated dogs and I like to let my dogs run around in the park like a pair of loonies and I love that I don't have to brush them each time - my mum has a Malti-poo and the poor thing comes back matted after our walks.
Yes!! This is what i mean by maintenance. It just isnt for me lol
Sc is wash and towel dry and your done. No combing, brushing, conditioning, when they get dirty most of time you can just get a wet rag and wipe them down. It just easier and i am all about making life easy. :D

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I chose Tabitha over her smooth coat sister. The smooth coat felt like little pine needles
against my hand. Tabitha's coat felt like a little bit of Heaven :love7:
Love my long coat babies!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts