Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella's long hair is getting longer, her tail is so plumed and her ears are pretty... but the pants bit round her bottom seems to more and more end up with little poop bits stuck onto it. We have trimmed it shorter but it still doesn't seem to help.

She comes back into the house and i have to clean her bottom as basically there are little bits attached. Her poops are not runny I've checked, they aren't hard either, they look about right. She is fed ziwipeak, orijen and a little wet food to grind her glycoflex and salmon oil into.

What do other people with long haired chis do? Do you cut it down short or does this not happen to you? :)

We call her Stinky Butt! :)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Not really on Lily but my Sheltie has this .I just get the scissors out and chop chop at an angle then it doesn't look like a staight cut across bit like the hairdressers do.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
we keep her VERY trimmed on the backside, around the 'sanitary' areas. We get it done professionally about once a month, and then i use grooming scissors and cut around the rest of the month to make sure she stays clean. We also keep the part of her tail closest to her rump pretty short.

But, we check her every time she goes potty and we end up using puppy wipes quite a bit!

Ah, the joys of being a dog owner:D

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we keep her VERY trimmed on the backside, around the 'sanitary' areas. We get it done professionally about once a month, and then i use grooming scissors and cut around the rest of the month to make sure she stays clean. We also keep the part of her tail closest to her rump pretty short.

But, we check her every time she goes potty and we end up using puppy wipes quite a bit!

Ah, the joys of being a dog owner:D
I think i can handle cutting it quite close, its as close as it can get round the sanitary area as you said but she wriggles soo much, she doesn't like her bottom being examined lol.I've just been surprised it manages to get onto her pants further away.

Michele - like you said i think ill have to trim the pants at an angle so it doesnt look blunt.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I do a sanitary shave on Glory, our long haired chi, as well. She always has firm stool but still I would have to clean her butt fur at least daily, I can't imagine what a nightmare it would have been if she had diarrhea before I started doing the sanitary shave. I do the clipping myself with the old hair clippers that I used to use for cutting my husband's hair. We got him a new set of clippers so I use the old one for Glory on the shortest setting (1/8th of an inch). I keep the lower end a little longer but clip the area right around the "back door" trimmed very short. I've been doing it for about 5 months now and I love it, now I only ever have to clean her bum from stuck on poopies about once or twice a month max!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I don't have this problem unless daisy has an upset stomach her poos are really really firm so just plop out!!! Same with lotus! I had probes with daisy when she was a puppy

How full are bellas pants?? Daisys aren't far from the floor now but round her actual 'opening' it's fur free

·
Registered
881 Posts
Perrys pants touch the floor and are really bushy, we some times have problems but not very often. He just gets a bum wash in the sink lol we do have a big problem with wee and belly hair tho :( pretty coats turn out to be quite yucky!

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Just want to add to this thread - I have 3 longcoats with lovely long pants :) and honestly never have a problem with poops or wees on their coats. They are on a combination of Ziwipeak and Burns kibble.

Maybe it does have to do with food choices??

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ibwas wondering the same Jane. If poopsbare vv firm and healthy they just come out they don't mess the pants up. We only get problems if stools are v soft here

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bailey has nice long pants. I love the looks of them with the long plumed tail. Mine are fed Raw with the occasional ZiwiPeak. I dont have problems with poo ....only once when he ate something nasty in the yard that upset his tummy.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
No problems here. Very very rarely we'll get a cling-on...but usually that's if Mari's injested some hair or string or something. Or of course the rare occasion she gets diarrhea from something she ate that she wasn't supposed to. She eats ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen & rmb once a week.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
It's not just soft stool that causes poo "hang ons" lol. My Glory is a long coat and she ALWAYS has very nice healthy and FIRM stool (she eats The Honest Kitchen and raw mix) yet she would still get regular little hang ons in her pants. The hang ons were firm and formed but they would still stick multiple times a week.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
A good friend of mine is a groomer and she says that long coat boys should always have a pee string. It's just a long piece of hair that comes out from the end. The pee travels down it and onto the ground. If you tidy them up down there and cut the pee string, their pee splatters all over and can even get on their front legs and all over their belly hair!

Thought I'd just throw that out for those with long coat boys. :) Never cut the pee string.

ha ha ha! Oh, I'm lovin my smooth coat right about now. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Puppy girls have a pee string too for the same reason as boys about 6 months it goes away abd is replaced with um doggy pubes haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts