Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Nope, I've found the opposite! My longs seem to shed more seasonally (like twice a year) but my smooths shed a bit constantly year round. I've also had many other breeders say this is the case with their dogs as well....

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
In my experience, the difference is not the amount they shed but how consistently they shed. Short coats shed all year, but relatively small amounts (if they are on a good food). Long coats shed seasonally a ton, but it's only a couple times a year. I have no idea how accurate that is, just my experience.

With that said, a quality good does wonders for shedding dogs. Toby used to shed but since he has been on Ziwipeak I have no seen one single loose hair except when I bathe and brush him.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have 4 long coats who love to be rubbed really hard and fast up their back against the lay of their hair - not a single hair is shed!

After a really intensive massaging bath, I may get 6 or 7 hairs in the water and none on the towel.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used to have a SC daushund that shed way way ore than my LC chis do, I've also heard for, other people that short coat dogs in general shed more, maybe it's to do with the hair texture I dunno.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The breeder that I got Star from said her long coats shed less than the smooth coats. But the only time I saw Star shed a lot was changing from puppy chow kibble to Acana and raw. But ever since then, I havent seen her shed at all. My best friend had a smooth coat chi too but I know she doesnt feed high quality kibble, and she said hers barely shed too.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Quite the contrary here, the only one who ever shed initially was Mia Zofia. But, we started adding Alaskan Salmon Oil to her diet and that helped significantly! Our longcoats don't shed but seasonally.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have smoothcoats and 2 out of the 3 shed terribly (the boys, Chloe is a perfect angel who barely sheds at all)! I have to groom them everyday with the furminator and they fill it at least 2x each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts