Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old do puppies have to be when you can tell if they will be short or long coated? I might have found a pup, but she's only 6 days old, and I'm not sure when you can really tell definitely if she's long or short coat. Both parents are long coats, but I'm still a bit nervous. Probably because it's too good to be true that I found her!

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
you are rite you can stil have smooth coat babies out of long coat parents id say that it would prob be long coat but is def possible to be smooth and it is stil to early to tell

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes my little one Melys has the 'fuzzy look' about her, as shes long haired. Her coat is still baby fur as shes only almost 13 weeks old, but its spikey and sticks out :lol: . I dont know how long her coat will grow but its obvious shes not smooth coated when you see her. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Its very rare to have a short coated puppy in a litter of both long coats if the generational parentage of the sire and dam where also long coats. The probability increases when a short and long coat were bred in the recent pedigree of either the sire and dam. So, in simple terms if the mother and father of this litter had parents and grandparents who were long coats your pretty much assured that the pup will be a long coat . We LOVE long coats :lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Long or short coat

Smidgen had 2 pups in her first litter, I didn't know one was a long coat in till they were about 2 weeks old. At birth I could tell one was a bit silkier then the other, but didn't know the pup was a long coat... They were both very black, but now the male that turned out to be the long coat has a lot
of blond and silver in his coloring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts