Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
other than the coat no , long haired tend to be more silky and shed slightly less apparently they need more grooming but I b rush mine about once a month :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've had chis practically all my life, but Jasmine is my first long hair. They do require brushing. I brush Jasmine almost every day, which is probably not necessary but I just enjoy brushing her. This is our ritual every evening, and she loves it. They seem to shed less than the smooth coat. Other than that, there is no difference in temperament or personality.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can find more info doing a search on this topic. The same thread has been posted several times.

I like the long. I have to brush Frasier about 5 times a week but it only takes a minute.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just got the book "chihuahuas for dummies" and this is what they say is the difference between long and smooth coats.

1. Long coats can handle cold better.
2. Smooth coats cuddle closer. Short coats enjoy feeling the warmth of your body on there nearly bald belly. A long coat is more likely to sit next to you rather then on your lap. A short coat will want to lay under the blankets a long coat will lay on top.
3.Long coats shed less. They shed seasonally, usually twice a year. Smooth coats shed and grow new hair all the time.
4.Long coats are bit more reserved. Smooth coats are more outgoing and accept new friends faster then long coats. Long coats like attention too,but need a little more time to warm up to frinedly strangers.

Thats what the book says. Hope this helps. :wink:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i guess chiwi thinks she is a smoothcoat. when i read that part in chi's for dummies i had to laugh i said oh man they don't know my baby! she loves eeryone! (as long as they aren't a man that is trying to touch her mommy...) and she is a huge snuggle bunny! i think there is no difference besides coat length when it comes to them....

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
A long coat is more likely to sit next to you rather then on your lap. A short coat will want to lay under the blankets a long coat will lay on top.
Lol totally disagree wiht this my 2 will only sit on your lap otherwise they cry lol and they definately prefer under the blankets :lol:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Mine too, deano pounces on me to get on my knee and always sleeps under the covers, usually right at the bottom of the bed near my ankles
xfayex and xsnoringdeanox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts