Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! It has been such a long time since I have been on the website! So much has happened! Demi is still healthy and happy. She is now 5.5 y/o. Deez unfortunately is no longer with our family, but he is with a family that loves him a lot! We had to move in with family and they told us that they didn't want a puppy in their home. It broke our hearts to find him a new home, but we needed a place to live. I found him a great home with a family that had 3 kids to play with him all the time and from the sounds of it he is loving every minute of it!
Well about a month ago we moved to our own house! FINALLY! We have a big fenced in back yard, privacy fencing, and a nice big house with plenty of room. So what did I do.... I rescued a little sausage chi! She is 6y/o and such a lap dog. She has warmed up to all of us wonderfully, even my son! Her only downfalls is she is over weight. I am not sure other then regulating her food and regular exercise if there is anything I can do about this. The other thing that I have to help her take care of is her teeth. They are really bad. I have found a great Vet to help me out though. From what I have been told her and another Chi brother were surrendered to the pound, the owners stating they couldn't take care of these two, yet they kept the 3 bigger dogs they had!?!?! I don't get it, but I am happy with her! I will take some pics and get them posted up here as soon as I can. If anyone has any ideas about weight, breath or teeth that can help me out I would greatly appreciate it!
great to be here again!!!:hello1:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would drastically cut her food down....1/8 cup twice a day. Keep treats at a minimum! I have seen chis lose very nicely with this regimen! I would also schedule a dental with the vet if her teeth are that bad. It's gonna make her feel like a new dog once they are all clean! And it will take the bad breath away! So glad things worked out and you have your own place now! Would love to see pics of your new little girl! Thanks for rescuing her!

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Hi welcome back. :) Sorry you had to let Deez go.
Congrats on your new home and Chi. :D
I cant wait to see pics. ;)

The wight has been the key topic here lol you will find so many threads about it. ;)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Welcome back! So sorry to hear about the little guy, but it's great that he went to a good happy home:)
Cutting back on the amount of food and giving low calories fresh treats is how I manage my girls weight. Chopped up apples and carrots are a great mid-day treat when they seem to be getting hungry between meals. My girls love them!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Nice to have you back. congratulations on your new home..and your new pup. The low cal treats and supplements have been talked abotu here. One of our members had an overweight dog who she put on restrictions and it changed her dramatically.

Baby carrots, green beans and other foods have been used to help control a little one's weight.

Rico enjoys Evo Wild Cravings--Weight Control formula. Also Fruitables treat have 9 calories each--and vitamins.

I just watch Rico becaUSE he is mad for the food. He loves anything--and is very oprotunistic. I thinl that if I weren't so cautious he'd put on too much weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts